Rhinocables vs Bettercables...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Daeo, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

I've been searching for hours and haven't seen any overwhelming decisions yet. Of the two which will give me the best quality picture and sound on these components:

Toshiba 57hdx82 cinema series tv
    Onkyo TX-DS797 receiver
    Denon DVD-3800

Thanks in advance...

2. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

After some consideration I want to rephrase my question. If having to choose between belden/canare vs silver component and audio cable, which would be your choice for optimal picture and audio quality...

3. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Is price a consideration as well?

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

For Optimal: my choice would be the BetterCables offering.

While I love the Canare stuff (and I build them), people with much more sensitive equipment have used the BetterCables silver cables and praised them. (Projectors to about 100").

While the BetterCables offering is likely over-kill for that sized display - there is a lot of processing that goes on with the signal. The slight nuance improvement the silver cable could provide could solve an occasional artifact.

And lets face it: you are only feeding that TV with progressive video right now. Soon you will get a STB and drive true HD/1080 signals. When this happens, you really want the better cables in your rack.

So my advice is to buy the BetterCables silver now for the DVD player. Then move the cables to your STB source later and buy another BC or a Canare cable for the DVD player. Or, just stick to BC for everything if your experience with them is good.

Remember the 10% rule: budget 10% of your electronics for the cables. My guess is that TV is about $2300 which means $230 for the cable is not out of line. And BetterCables is cheaper than this so you are getting a bargin.

Hope this helps.

5. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

With all due respect to Bob and the sponsor if you want silver coated copper cables you are probably better off buying the AR master cables. They are RG6 size therefore more durable than the spaghetti thin SS cables. The connectors used are a locking type. The AR master series use Teflon insulation and 6 shields (3 copper and 3 Mylar if my memory serves me correctly)for superior noise rejection. Bonus is they are a lot cheaper.
    Bob, I have also seen numerous posts/ views stating that the older ultra series (Canare) were preferred over the new SS cables. I really don't think the cost of the cables has any bearing on their performance so budgeting 10% and justifying the BC cables higher cost is a little misleading. If you consider a companies high advertising/marketing costs then you should realize that it has to come from somewhere. Unfortunately its the consumer. Of course once CHU adds his scientific opinion its simply a matter of running down to Target or is it still Radio Shack and picking up their cables[​IMG]

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Now just what is it that the 10 or 20 micron silver coating does for several megahertz of DVD video is beyond me. But if I was hell bent on going that way I'd give the AR's serious consideration. Personally for a video cable I'd be looking for one with a solid central conductor. I don't know though why a thicker central conductor should improve matters and would be interested in hearing about studies in that area. Hey Mark, I personally haven't done it, but are you aware of any work that's been with people modifying their TV's or DVD players by replacing the RCA connectors with bona-fide real 75 ohm connectors?
    Now if you head on down to the Shack, make sure you see that cute life-size Shaq display with him holding those little remote controlled cars [​IMG]

7. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

Yet another decision. Anyone else have an opinion on this(bettercables vs AR master cables)...[​IMG]

8. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

Not that large of one. As long as I'm not spending over $200-300 per cable I'm ok...

9. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

My recommendation is always to go with Broadcast standard video cables. Good connectors,solid copper center conductor and well shielded. If its good enough for the broadcasters and production studios its more than good enough for me. Spend the money on better components (source/display/processing/ac conditioning)

Chu,
    With my old DVD player I replaced the digital audio out (RCA) with a Canare BNC jack.Yes there was a slight improvement (to my ears anyway) but just having a BNC mechanical connection (twist to lock) was worth it for me. The new DVD player is still under warranty so I'm holding off for a while. I haven't popped the top yet so I'm not sure how easy it will be to change. If I had my way I'd use BNC's for both source and display (dig/video).

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think apart from getting into the sounded/looked better thing, that looking to replace the connector with something more secure as well as 75 ohms is a pretty good idea. I'm not sure I'd call it a tweak per se but lots better connectors out there than RCA's that's for sure. BTW, as I'm sure you're aware of of there are different flavors of BNC and not all of them are 75 ohms but they do exist. I'm assuming that the Canare is a legit 75 as opposed to their '75 ohm RCA'. Any plans to do the same for your TV?

11. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Other than Canare, check out Belden as well. From what I've read they are slightly better than Belden as far as cables go. For RG6, the 1695A and 1694 series have been acclaimed, and even the RG59 1505A are pretty good. I use 1505A with Canare 75ohm RCA connectors for my audio interconnects with good results. If you're doing video, use their RG6 cables.

12. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I'll throw my support behind the AR Master series cables. I just replace my S-video, Optical and 5 Audio cables with AR master series stuff. Well constructed, specs that rival some of the higher end name cables for an excellent price. All totaled $300CDN/$180US. Cables from Bettercables would have cost me double. Would I notice double the performance?

Kevin

13. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

I've not gotten mine yet, but Catcables.com is where I went for.

Got a 4M Composite Video cable coming from them, though I think it's closer to the high number of your 'if it's not...'

Don't remember because I ordered a crapload of other cables at the time.

14. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

15. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

With all due respect to your opinion Mark, I recently tried the "broadcast standard" component cable from one of the major supply houses. I happened to hook up a BetterCables silver serpent component cable immediately afterwards on the same player. The difference was signficant, with a visible decrease in noise and grain in the picture. This is not meant to be a Bettercables plug (although I guess it definitely looks like it), but if it was my money and I had a halfway decent DVD player, I would spend the extra money in a second.

16. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

17. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Bob,
    Let me clarify my post a bit more, as it was late and I was not descriptive enough. It is often posted on this forum that cables bought from the broadcast supply houses are quite good. For my own little experiment, I called up one of the major supply houses (Markertek) and ordered a component cable (among a few other cables I was interested in trying) without giving specs. I simply asked to send me as good a cable as they had with RCA connectors, and on purpose did not specify price. In other words, I just simply wanted a cable that they would send to someone who asked for a good component video cable. The cable sent to me was manufactured by a company called Connectronics (their "High-Performance" cable), and was not expensive (maybe about $30). I accepted this price point on purpose, as I think that most people are curious about the justification of spending $30-$50 (on a 2-3 meter cable) vs. spending a bit more at $70-$100 (or even higher).
    I have no idea what the internals of the wire sent to me are, but the construction at least appeared acceptable, and the connectors are not locking but do fit snugly and smoothly, better than Radio Shack stuff. After using this cable for about a week, I hooked up another one that I had on hand, the Bettercables Silver Serpent unit. Both were between a Panasonic DVD player and my Pioneer Elite 520 RPTV as a direct connection. The difference was significant in reducing noise and grain, and picture quality improved. What I was trying to impart here is that not all of the "broadcast standard" cables are the same, and unless you know enough to specify something like a Canare/Belden product, and also know enough to find it on their website or impart the knowledge to their phone people, you may not end up with the best quality product. As for Bettercables, they do make nice stuff at a good price, and I do like their video cables.

18. Manendra

Manendra Stunt Coordinator

Matt,
    Have you tried cables from AudioQuest? They have very good quality cables in many price ranges, including solid silver component cables. You can try their website: www.audioquest.com.
    I'm planning an upgrage for my system (29" TV to LCD Projector) and am planning to get the AudioQuest YIQ 4 solid-silver component cable.

19. Matt Daeo

Matt Daeo Extra

Whew! Thanks for all the help guys. In the end I've decided to go with Rhino cables(premium). Who knew there was so much to know about interconnects... [​IMG]

20. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

After much deliberation, I too decided to go with the 2M Rhino premium component cables for $112 (including shipping). To me, Bolder Cables was way too expensive ($180), I wasn't sure what kind of cable/connectors Cat Cables is using and, while the BetterCables Silver Serpent was about the same price as the Rhino Cables offering, I liked the fact that Rhino used the Belden 1695A/Canare combo.
    Whew, that was tough so thanks to everyone's thoughts/opinions![​IMG]