What's new

Rhino Discloses That 4 Season 2 My Favorite Martian Cut (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On the back of Season 2 of My Favorite Martian it is stated that 4 of the 38 shows are the syndicated (cut)versions.They say that the original elements could not be located. While it is a shame the uncut versions could not be found, bravo to Rhino for disclosing this on the package and allowing us to make an informed choice as to whether we want to buy this set.
The cut shows are listed on back. As I did not buy this set I do not know which shows are cut.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Ditto on this! Although I'm not getting the MFM set this is a very good thing to see a Mfg'r put on the DVD pack. Thanks, Rhino!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The affected episodes titles are indeed listed on the back of the packaging. I just saw this set at the store today, and will buy it as soon as I've finihsed the first season set.

Rhino should be applauded for disclosing this up front for sure. Sitcoms online has a review where they state the 4 shows are missing about 90 seconds each, and also appear to be time compressed, so maybe even less than 90 seconds of "content" is missing, if that makes it go down any easier.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Rhino has learned from what they have gone through in the past, even when cuts were not their fault. They are setting a good example for other studios to follow. Between this and offering a replacement disc for the cut MST3K episode for Collection 7, they'll soon be known for their customer service. I know my future purchases from Rhino will be made with confidence.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

While I agree Rhino should be acknowledged for upfront disclosure, they flunked the history portion of the test.
The characterization that the original elements could not be located implies a search effort was conducted. However, they don't appear to have looked very hard, or used known resources available to them.

A broadcast researcher/collector pointed Rhino to where they could acquire a complete version of the pilot for the first-season set after a public appeal was issued to determine the whereabouts of a complete version.

When Rhino discovered that they had 4 incomplete episodes for the second-season release, a 2-minute phone call to this same contact would have told them exactly where the complete 35mm prints of this series reside.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Is this an assumption, or do you have first-hand information on this? Are you also certain that Rhino did not contact this source, or that the source or the intact episodes could not be obtained due to prohibitive costs?

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

The source is a close friend and was never contacted. Cost is not an issue here since Rhino's excuse is specified as an inability to locate elements.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thanks Jeff. I suppose that if there had been a substantial cost involved in procuring the original pilot through your friend, that it may have disuaded them from contacting him/her over these episodes, which in turn would allow them to claim they couldn't find them. Of course, although Rhino is not being untruthful in saying they couldn't locate the elements if they didn't call your friend, they certainly didn't take much effort to find them either if this is the case.

Duane Alford

Second Unit

Wow, I've been to 6 stores and have had no luck finding it. Circuit City, Best Buy, and Target have neither season. Walmart only has Season 1. :frowning:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Tower Records had season 2.
It is also available at on line retailers. Deep Discount DVD has it for under $24.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same experience, MFM S2 isn't available at any of my local retailers. I was forced to order it online.

I've had the same problem with a couple of other season releases.

Starsky & Hutch season 3
Wiseguy Vol. 4

I'm concerned that a lack of retail shelf space will lead to reduced sales and kill our chances of future season releases due to slow sales.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I saw this at Fry's today and was going to applaud Rhino for the honest disclaimer. With what you're saying, Jeff, I guess I'll change it to a golf clap. :) Still, I hope companies follow the lead and are more forthright on packaging in the future. Doubtful, I know.

JoyceHH

Auditioning
Good news for My Favorite Martian fans:

Those 4 episodes mentioned on the packaging ARE complete, just time compressed.

I just got through watching the episodes in question and they do not have any missing footage.

If I may speculate on the reason for RHINO issuing the disclaimer on the packaging,it may have been that when timing the episodes and finding them slightly shorter,they assumed that footage had been cut, rather than realize that these syndicated prints had been "speeded up" to allow more commercials to be sold. But the process left the episodes intact.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I'm not that much of an expert on the process but if a show can be sped up to gain time could the process then not be reversed in order to restore the show to its proper speed and running time?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks