What's new

RGPC or PS Audio Ultimate Outlet? (1 Viewer)

ReneA

Agent
I'm trying to give my system a tweak with a power conditioner of some sort. I'm trying to decide between Richard Gray's Power Company 400s model or the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet High Current 15 amp model.(I have a Parasound 2205 Amp) Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the two and if they are the same, which should I go for? This is a budget issue and I need to pick one of these low end models. Also, I will be having a dedicated outlet for my system. Thanks. R.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Since power conditioning is dependent on each indvidual's set-up (including their home's eletrical systems) it's hard to give a blanket rec. I have tried both the RGPC and the ultimate outlet. For video the RGPC worked wonders on video, but no effect on audio. The ulimate outlet had minor positive effects on video and audio. Run a search for both products in this forum and www.avsforum.com
I would suggest looking into balanced power. I saw the biggest bang for the buck using a modified BPT product. The company modifying the BPT's isn't available for the mods at this time....but you can buy BPT units at
Link Removed
Good Luck
Ron

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Here's a good deal on BPT's flagship unit from a classified ad at Audiogon. I am no way connected to the seller and can't vouch them...just saw the ad.
Ron
Link Removed

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
First let me begin by saying I don't use either device nor do I have any particular experience with them. The disparity in the prices between the two units is substantial and would seem to indicate to me, that you're considering the purchase or probably 2 PS units to provide for a total 4 outlets which would make it then comparable to the Gray unit. The comments I offer are strictly based upon my reading of the website whose products you're currently invesigating. I assume that you know you have issues with your incoming power and that you believe their products will offer satisfactory remedies at the expenditures you're prepared to make. Have I covered my ass sufficiently here?
Richard Gray.
Retail price on the 400 is $750.
By his own admission he's a licenced electronics technician who makes products aimed at the audiophile/videophile market. I find virtually nothing substantive on the website but a fair amount of hype. This hype, with quite an amazing degree of parroting that should border on plagiarism, is repeated by both users of his products as well as review sites. The components that make up his units are unkown and the consumer knows nothing of their capabilities. While I've not read every review of Gray's products those that I've read made no attempt to take a peek inside. He has had patents pending for some time and it remains to be seen whether that is in fact true, if they've been rejected and then resubmitted, or even what the nature of the patents are. They may be of a fundamentally new way of achieving something or they may simply be patents of design that have nothing to do with improving the quality of the power. The implication of course, is the former. The units apparently utilize a fuse as a surge suppression device that'll blow if voltage exceeds 280 volts. As to the length of time a transient voltage in excess of that would exist, I'd hazard to say would be greater than that in a MOV or other device. Since his product offers no warranty or specifics in the way of surge protection, I'd argue strongly against his intimation that you don't need one. Again, he said something, but nothing of substance. For a technical product claiming measureable improvements, there is a remarkable lack of technical statements. For example, this quote from his Gray Paper...
...all equipment seems to operate a little cooler for what we believe will be longer component life.
i find a bit disturbing. I'd have hoped an inventor would have taken the time to perhaps run an amp with and without the unit and come to some sort of quantifiable improvement rather than the word seems. In the way of EMI/RFI reduction, I could find nothing that indicated the extent of reduction and over what frequency range that reduction was.
To borrow Mr. Grays word, it 'seems' to me that he's long winded and more than a bit short on the meat and potatoes...but the review magazines seem to like him.
PS Audio
The High Current 15 outlet lists for $299.
I found PS Audio's website to be far more informative. Cutaway illustrations were welcome to me. There are actual graphs with real time data and a comparison of their products to other well known units to illustrate what is happening to the AC waveform under certain scenarios. The various papers provide good clear understanding of what the units functionally can do as for example As to the benefits in both audio and video I failed to notice anything other than reviews and testimonials.
Summary: I found the bottoms of my shoes much cleaner walking around PS Audio's site than I did Richard Gray's. The impression I got from PS Audio is that they have the resources in terms of money and equipment to effectively test and design their equipment. Consequently, if I were to evaluate a unit for effectivess I would opt for the PS Audio one. Myself, I'd be judging the effectiveness under blind conditions, but that is just the way I do certain things that lend themselves readily to such an evaluation. These devices, in my estimation readily allow for such a methodology.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
if you wish to pursue PS Audio, there seem to be more dedicated tweakers at THIS FORUM. Try their Search function for the Tweaks and DIY board under "PS Audio." Search for Power Conditioners if you have an afternoon to kill.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
One thing I forgot to suggest is after doing your research (strongly rec. demoing each unit)....I'd purchase on the used market. You should be able to find an ultimate outlet for about $100 off the list and the RGPC about $300 off list. I would place a want ad at www.audiogon.com
Good Luck
Ron

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
even ebay suggests itself as a possibility but as always caveat emptor! If its EFI/RFI that's troubling you, then you may wish to investigate ferrite beads. A brief description of them is given here Good luck with your quest!

Brian Vaughan

Stunt Coordinator
If you are interested in more PS Audio forum discussions then try here as well. I can't say enough good things about their customer service and the quality of their products. Plus, Paul (the head of the company) regularly posts on the above forum as well as the one on the PS Audio site. Can't beat that kind of contact with the customers.
Cheers, Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks