RGBHV output and 720p resolution. Dream or reality?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joel Tougas, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Joel Tougas

Joel Tougas Auditioning

Hi all,

I just bought an old Sony CRT projector which takes only RGBHV (5 BNC plugs) as video input.

I would like to buy a DVD player which outputs video signal via RGBHV. Does that exist?

If it exists, do you have any suggestion to do for a DVD player that would:
    - Output in RGBHV
    - Be under 200$US
    - Output video with a resolution of 720p or 1080i .

If it doesn't exist, what can i do to connect a DVD player to my CRT projector?

I'm a total newbie to the world of HT so every single piece of information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
    Joel

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

RGBHV outputs are not a problem; if nothing else, you can break out the 5 connectors from one VGA connector on your home computer monitor port. Now, since the DVD Forum has banned resolutions higher than 480p without HDCP, you're stuck if you want 720p or 1080i from a DVD player. Your best bet would be either a computer software package, allowing you to play a DVD and scale it to a custom resolution, or a scaler such as the DVDO iScan taking component inputs and putting out [if you set it up correctly] RGBHV through a VGA breakout cable. With a separate scaler and player, though, you're going to have a very hard time coming in at your price point.

3. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

You might want to ckeck out a momitsu DVD player with a VGA port. You can do a lot of custom resolution timings as well as upscale with it to 1080i/720p/960p, etc. All you need is a VGA break out cable (normally HD15 to 5BNC).

Another way of going is to get a Component to RGBHV transcoder. That way you can input compnent source and get RGBHV out to the PJ.

Since you didnt mention it, does you PJ have a - or + sync? That could determine what other things you need.

4. Joel Tougas

Joel Tougas Auditioning

Hi Tony and Christopher,

Unfortunately, I have no clue what sync+ or sync- is! :b

Are Momitsu DVD players easily available in North America? I don't know that brand.

Which one would give me the best image quality: plugging a Momitsu DVD player or my home computer equipped with a matrox G400 MAX graphic card?

I'm quite sure that for the sound, the DVD layer is better, but for the image, I have no clue.

Thanks for the info though! [​IMG]
    Joel

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The momitsu route is easiest, it upscales too, which is good.

What CRT model is it? I will assume you are using a data-grade model, and not just a video-grade unit. In such case, you want to feed it an appripriately high resolution from an upscaled source, either from an upscaling player like the momistu, or from an upscaling player coupled with a transcoder that takes the YPbPr and turns it into RGBhv, OR you couple a DVD player with a processor/scaler (priciest option to do well) like a lumagen, OR you use a well-designed HTPC and feed that directly to the CRT.

I use the latter option with high-end CRTs for the best image at a bargain compared with the outboard processor option. The momistu v880 will get you going though, the CRT forum at AVS has help on this too.