What's new

RGBHV input adapters? (1 Viewer)

ChrisInLa

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Berthelsen
Hi -

I have an older Mitsubishi - a WT-46805 - which still has a great picture. But when I hook up a DirecTV HD receiver, the Mits only gives me resolution options for 480p or 960i. The manual says there is a 1080i option when a Mits HD receiver is hooked to it. The set is from that Phantom Zone era when standards were still being worked out, so the input is one of those Component + H+V jobs. Is there an adapter that will convert an HDMI from the receiver to these inputs and will that force the Mits to give me a 1080i option? The HD image is still bettter than component DVD, but I'd love to see what the 1080 looks like.

Thanks...

Chris

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if this would work . . . and I can pretty much assure you it wouldn't be worth the cost, but one option is this:

RAM Electronics sells a RGBHV-to-DVI adapter. They also sell a DVI-to-HDMI adapter. If you bought both of these then I would think it would work. But again, I can't imagine the difference (if there is one) would be worth the price.

ChrisInLa

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Berthelsen
Sounds like some of the strategies I use when I don't have the right USB cord! I'll keep that one in my pocket in case no one else weighs in. Thanks!

Chris

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You will need a DirectTV box that does not require HDCP protection of HD channels. Otherwise the box delivers only 480p and your TV responds by offering only juxtaposed 480p and staggered 480p (the latter is aka 960i)

If you cannot get a Direct TV box that delivers 1080i component video, consider cancelling Direct TV and going with a different provider.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ChrisInLa

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Berthelsen
Well, the DirecTV HD box I've got has a 1080i format option. Does that qualify it or is that just a dodge? Do you think they're delivering true 1080i to my set?

Thanks...

Chris

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Most boxes have a choice of component video output as "as-is" or "1080i only" or "480p only".

If you (can) choose "as-is" aka "native" output and all shows you know are 1080i register as 1080i/540p on your TV while shows you know are 480p register as 480p/960i on your TV, then we can be reasonably sure the box is delivering true 1080i.

Most CRT TV sets cannot take "as-is" from a box because they don't accept 720p which the box will deliver from 720p shows. So you need to choose "1080i only" after conducting your test. Then the box converts everything to 1080i format. 1080i format does not guarantee 1080i quality content.

Alternatively it takes someone with sharp eyes to determine whether you are really getting 1080i.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks