What's new

RGB questions.... (1 Viewer)

KerryC

Auditioning
I need help please!

I recently purchased a house that has a room that is pre-wired for a home theater. This includes wiring for an overhead projector.

The three wires that are routed to the projector site are an "RGB+H/V", S-Video, and CAT 5E. The projector I am considering buying does not have an RGB input, only Component, S-video, Composite and DVI. Is there any way to use the RGB cables in a hookup like this? (I will have a progressive scan DVD player and hope to have HD television through my cable soon, so I don't want to settle for just the S-video.)

My other question relates to the other end....I would like to connect my video sources to an A/V receiver and output them from the receiver to the projector. I've noticed some of the better receivers have Component switching as well as S-Video and Composite. What about RGB? If I elect to purchase a projector with RGB inputs (ie Sony VW12HT) will I be unable to connect the RGB cables to a receiver?

Lastly, why would a CAT 5E wire be routed to the projector site?

Thank you for any help, I am pretty confused at this point.

Kerry

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My other question relates to the other end....I would like to connect my video sources to an A/V receiver and output them from the receiver to the projector. I've noticed some of the better receivers have Component switching as well as S-Video and Composite. What about RGB? If I elect to purchase a projector with RGB inputs (ie Sony VW12HT) will I be unable to connect the RGB cables to a receiver?
Don't let the RGB confuse you. The Sony 12HT has the capability of switching its input from RGBHV to Component depending on what you are feeding it (component or HDef) so the component cable could be switched via the receiver a you suggest with no problem.

KerryC

Auditioning
Thank you for your reply. You mention I can use just 3 of the 5 cables for just straight component or use all 5 for HDTV purposes. Just to confirm, if I am using just 3 of the cables into a HighDef projector (ie. Sony HS10 Cineza), and my source is HD, a high definition picture will be displayed.

Thanks again for your help.
Kerry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks