What's new

RGB from SCART to VGA? (1 Viewer)

Thor H

Auditioning
My DVD player has RGB output on the SCART, and my projector of course has a standard VGA port to hook up the PC. I cannot find the right cable to take advantage of this, so I'm planning to have one made. But then I start thinking: "Is there a reason why I have never seen such a cable?" In other words, would it work, or is there more to it than just connecting the Rs and the Gs and the Bs?

The main reason for doing this isn't picture quality, SVideo looks fine (but it would of course be a nice bonus), but to split the VCR (composite only) and the DVD (SVideo) sharing the video input. Today I have to physically pull out the SVideo connector to use the VCR/TV, or degrade the DVD to composite.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Thor,
Despite your comments about the types of signals involved, it isn't entirely obvious to me what you're trying to accomplish.
You can make an adaptor cable, but it can only be used to provide connections for one type of video signal: only RGB, only composite or only s-video.
One problem is that the SCART connector does not have separate pins for RGB, S-Video and Composite video. Even when fully implemented, it provides connections only for a maximum of 4 video signals. Usually they are Red, Green, Blue and combined (H+V) Sync. S-Video uses the same pins as Red and Sync. Composite uses the same pins as Sync.
See Link Removed
for the exact pinout.
Does this clarify things any?

Thor H

Auditioning
Thanks, I'm now confused at a much higher level! :) No, seriously, the complete pin-out schema was quite helpful. It doesn't match 100% with the Pioneer DV-535 manual however (leaving out 1, 3, 4 for audio):
Leg / Pioneer name
7 B out
8 Status
11 G out
15 R or C out(C for S-video chrominance?)
17 GND
19 Video out or Y out (video meaning composite?)
21 GND
To clarify, I want to take RGB out from the DVD's SCART and in on the projector's VGA (PC) connector. (There's a menu option that lets me select what output I want on the SCART; S-video, composite or component.)
From this, and the link you gave me, I deduct that I need the following pins: 7, 11, 15, 21, plus 19/17 for sync/sync return. But what about the "R/G/B return and RGB Status out/return" (should have been on pins 13, 9, 5 and 16/14)? This status signal is what the projector (or a monitor) would be looking for, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks