RGB ?? Component??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark-C, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Mark-C

Mark-C Stunt Coordinator

I can't seem to find any definite info on this.

My DVD player (pioneer 535) says it has RGB output but doesn't have the 3 leads for component.

Is RGB video the same as component video or is it different ?
    Thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

RGB is different from component. If you're talking about the Pioneer DV-535 player that does both PAL and NTSC, it's supposed to have component outputs.

M.

3. Mark-C

Mark-C Stunt Coordinator

My 535 is a U.K. model and doesn't have the outputs.

I will be upgrading soon, but for now will have to use the Composite video.

If I install a component lead from player to projector will I be able to use one of the coloured leads as a composite video lead until I upgrade or is a composite a different lead ?

Thanks

4. Michael Reuben

No, composite is a separate output altogther. It has to carry all of the information that is split into three signals for component.

M.

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    RGB and analogue component video are both technically 'component' formats, but are different from one another and not directly compatible. Most DVD players with RGB outputs are aimed at the European market and use a PERITEL/SCART 21-pin connection, although some use RCA/BNC or 15-pin connectors.
    TVs with SCART RGB inputs are common in Europe: much more so than models with RCA analogue component inputs. DVD is a native component format, but conversion to RGB shouldn't result in any significant loss in quality if done properly within the player. The two systems are virtually the same in terms of quality. Take a look at this link for more information.
    Adam

6. Mark-C

Mark-C Stunt Coordinator

What I meant was, can I use a component "lead" as a composite lead.

If I could get away with using one of the three component leads as a composite lead (between now and getting a component DVD player) I wouldn't have to install both component and composite.

Is one of the three component leads physically the same as a composite lead.

Sorry for the confusion.

7. Michael Reuben

If by "lead" you mean the wire connecting the player to the TV, then yes, you can use the same wire.

M.