What's new

RGB component and DB15 YPbPr philips HDTV help.. (1 Viewer)

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
I am all set to grab a Philips HDTV 46" TV and have one big problem with it..it has 2 HD inputs, but one of them is a DB15 connector..now I want to hook up my xbox and a progressive scan DVD player..I found this cable searching the internet and it makes note of

my HDTV states it has sync on green..can I use this cable for my dvd player and the component inputs for my xbox?

thanks for the help..

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming that the VGA/DB15 input is RGB, you'll need a transcoder if you want to use that input. RGB is not the same as component.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
well in the manual it states that both HD inputs, the component and the DB15 input, were switchable..you could switch either input to RGB or YPbPr..so I would just have to switch both inputs to YPbPr? what is RGB? thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What *exactly* does it say in the manual?

It sounds like either it can take some sort of component input on the VGA plug, or it is saying you can switch between the VGA input for RGB, or a separate component RCA input for component ypbpr?

I know some digital projectors can take component input on VGA input. This might be a similar situation, in which case you might need just an adapter cable.

If it is only taking RGB on the VGA input, then you'll need a transcoder.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
chris in the manual it states that you can switch each HD input to either RGB or YPbPr..the component cables are defaulted to YPbPr and the VGA is defaulted to RGB, but it shows you that you just have to hit the menu key and switch the HD input from RGB to YPbPr..here is the actual manual if you have time to take a look..it's on page 59..thanks man

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the manual link, that makes things much easier.

Page one says that it accepts both component and RGBhv on the VGA input. Page 59 looks like you can tell it what you are inputting.

If you look at the component input, it actually has 5 rca ins, you use three if you are using component, or 5 for RGBhv. That's actually quite nice for a consumer set, most dont have RGB inputs.

And it also shows that you can input component via the VGA plug.

So you can input either in both places. You may need an adapter cable, though, if both your sources use regular 3xRCA outputs instead of a VGA plug, or vice versa.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
ok cool thanks chris..I just wanted to make sure I didn't buy the adapter cable for nothing..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks