What's new

RG6 vs. RG59 (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I used a 50 ft RG59 cable to connect from the antenna to my wall outlet(house antenna) and I have an RG6 cable from the wall to my TV. Is the RG59 cable bad for what I am using it for?

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
If anything you should have used the RG6 from the antenna to the wall, than the RG59. The RG6 has for what I understand less siginal loss than the RG59 will have.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well... there were literally thousands of miles of RG59 in use for cable tv systems around the country.
But RG6 coax DOES have a bit less attenuation over 100's of feet, but it also has better shielding and can handle higher frequencies than RG59. The higher frequency issue is very important for SAT reception, digital signals and broadband issues. So RG6 has replaced RG59 as the coax to use.
Look, 50 ft of coax is cheap. But before you re-wire and come to the impression that 6 is better than 59, do a check/tune-up of your exisiting wire.
Un-screw the connectors and examine the copper center-conductor. Is it still bright like a new penny, or dull brown? Check the "F" connector. Is it still tight & straight without a lot of wear?
Cut the coax, strip and install new connectors when in doubt. Try to buy the connectors with the built-in crimp ring instead of the cheaper ones with a separate ring. Some of these connectors are extra-heavy with an internal rubber washer intended for outdoor use. (Find a local electronics-supply store).
Radio Shack has some nice tools like a coax-stripper ($15) and a "T" handle to push the connectors onto the coax. You can use the RS Hex Crimper, but I really like the ratching crimpers. Home Depot has one for about $40, or you can go to Chris White's web site for how to find a $20 crimp-frame and $8 hex-dies for RG6/59. Radio Shack also sells some wrap to protect coax connectors from the elements. I've never used it, but it could not hurt.
VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure to tighten every "F" connector with tools. The number one cause of poor signal quality & CATV service calls is simply loose connectors. Ideal makes a nice special tool with a socket for "F" connectors on a screwdriver handle. But the socket is cut to slip over coax. Very nice for about $18.
If you really think you have signal-quality problems, find a station on your TV that has problems (snow, drop-outs, etc.) Different stations are affected differently by the coax. Do the cleaning/tightening I suggest above and then go see if there was any difference. You might really improve things with a few minutes work.
Hope this helps.

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
for the best connections out there, check out the new compression style connectors...they are waterproof and the cable companies are all using them now for their outdoor connections....
here is a website that shows examples, but they should be available at most home centers.....
http://www.cabelcon.dk/compression.htm

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ryan,

You asked a simple question. Here’s the simple answer you’re looking for.

As Bob noted, RG-6 is the standard for cable TV, satellite signals, etc. However, RG-59 is fine for use with television antennas. It will not be a problem switching to a better cable - RG-6 – for the distance between the wall and the TV.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You asked a simple question. Here’s the simple answer ...
[rant]WHAT! Wayne, are you saying I'm not simple enough?!?[/rant]

Uhhhh .... on second thought, there is no good way to answer that. I did kind of tell him how to build a clock when he asked for the time.:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks