RG6 vs 59 coax for TV, cable modem...

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by MTrotter, Mar 11, 2006.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    Is there any performance advantage for RG6 over the old 59 coax cable, for either digital cable including HD channels or for using with a cable modem?

I know that RG6 is shielded better, but other than that, does it have some kind of higher bandwith or data rate for digital data or video? I just bought and connected a new Sony 50A10 TV. The initial coax cable that is connected to the wall outlet is the old 59 cable. It runs to a Monster splitter I just bought. Then, one side goes to the cable modem, and the other side goes to the TV, which looks great.

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

RG-6 is generally a higher-band cable than RG-59. Generally, however, most people don't need cable frequency response out into the multi-GHz band.

Leo

3. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    Hey, thanks for the info.

4. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I believe that the RG-6 has less signal loss in the higher frequencies than the RG-59.
    I guess it all depends on what frequencies your signal provider uses and the length of the cable in question.
    I am a D*TV subscriber and I know that D*TV says that the connections must be made using RG-6. The D*TV signal is in the 2GHz range, I believe. I have read in other forums where folks have used short runs of RG-59 for satellite TV and have had no problem.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

RG-59 can look like a dead short between a dish & a receiver but at lower frequencies runs less than 100 feet should not matter much

6. Bob Barker

Bob Barker Auditioning

I had RG59 running to my HD cable box but when I upgraded it to a DVR model things just didn't work right (On Demand, etc.). The third tech that was sent to my house fixed the problem by removing splitters and upgrading the lead to RG6. Works fine now. He told me that RG59 is no longer used for cable tv.

Take it for what it's worth! If I were running any new cable I'd make sure it was RG6. Cost difference is negligable.