RG6 Quad wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Harris, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Art Harris

Art Harris Auditioning

I just got my HDTV receiver and watched the Cubbies game. It's OTA. Good picture, but not up to the quality of my C-Band HBO HDTV picture. I'm sure that the poorer picture quality is because the wire from my OTA attenna is RG59 and has a run of over 150 feet, with a couple of splitters along the way. I want to run RG6 Quad from the attenna to the receiver directly, about 90'.
    Questions:
    1. I have heard pro & con on different brands, but most comments are favorable towards Belden. Are there any online stores or somebody in the Chicago area that sells Belden? What's a fair price? Any good alternatives to Belden?
    2. I have a surge protector by Panamax (isolated loop circuit protector). It has a place to feed the attenna lead thru. I'm not sure if there is going to be any loss of signal quality if I run the HD signal through it. Anybody know about this?
    3. I have other TV outlets in the house for the standard TV's. The get there signal from the same attenna. Now I have to split the signal. Can I maintain the RG59 connection to the antenna to service the existing TV's and wire the RG6 to the same hookup on the attenna?
    There wire run is complex enough that I want to do it right the first time. Any ideas would really be aprreciated.
    Art

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Art,
    I'll try to answer some of your questions.
    Belden is a good cable manufacturer but Belden offers more than one RG6 so make sure you look up the specs on frequency response and loss. I can't help you on the Chicago based companies but Anitec is nationwide. They should have some.
    The surge protector may cutoff some frequencies and anytime you introduce interconnects at high frequencies you will incur a loss. Check the specs on the pass through to see what frequency range it can take.
    Yes, you should be able to have both the RG59 and RG6 hooked to your OTA antenna at the same time with minimal degradation.
    Hope this helps,
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

3. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I would recommend checking out Home Depot for some cheap, quality RG6 Quad shielded cable. It's only $.30 foot, and it does the job well!

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Art,
    Belden 1189A is what you are looking for. Quad shield RG6.
    HOWEVER, what is the signal strength at the HDTV box for your OTA? If it's acceptable, and you get a stable picture with no dropouts, then that's not your problem. It is the same as DirecTV coming from the dish to the receiver in the house- if you have good signal strength at the box, with no dropouts, then the cable has nothing to do with the picture quality. This is the beauty of digital signal transfer.
    Perhaps HBO looks better because:
    1. It's using less compression than you local OTA station. Is the OTA using the full 19.3Mbps alloted. HBO probably is, but your local may not be.
    2. Is the local broadcasting true 1080i? Maybe not. HBO is.
    3. Sports are harder to MPEG encode than the HBO fare. Plus, if the local is doing on-the-fly encoding of live material, depending on how they have their encoder setup (single pass, multi-pass, constant or variable bit rate, etc.), this can dramatically change the quality of the output.
    4. For the live event, is your local using HD cameras for the event, or is the footage an upconvert?
    5. I don't know enough about the C-band signal to know how it stacks up to other HD signals, but I'm betting it's among the best-of-the-best.
    There are a few other possibilities that I'm sure I'm forgetting. Anyway, the problem is most likely not the antenna cable.
    Todd

5. Art Harris

Art Harris Auditioning

Great comments guys.
    What's the difference between Belden 1694A and the 1189A? The 1694A has been referenced quite a bit on this forum.
    The HBO picture IS superior. I have the Mits 46807 and the HBO picture is awesome. I was a little disappointed with the Cubbies OTA picture. Some of Todd's points are probably very valid.
    I do feel that upgrading to the RG6 QS can't hurt the signal. The cost for 90' of wire and a couple hours of my time is not a big deal. If the picture is still not up to expectations, at least I know it's not the wire.
    Art

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

1189A uses a copper-clad steel center conductor, and I think a little bit less braid, and a little more foil than the 1694A. Also, I think the 1694A only has 2 shields, not 4. However, the 1694A braided shield is more substantial, and the center conductor is all copper.
    If you are going to run a raw video signal on this line at some later date(I'm speaking of composite video here, not the received OTA signal), then 1694A would be the better choice. The UHF frequencies for HDTV are no different than they are for NTSC. They are the same frequency space. Therefore, what works to deliver OTA NTSC, will work for OTA HDTV. And again, the HD signal on that carrier is digital- if the signal strength is high enough, you get a "perfect" copy of what was sent by the station. Not so in the analog realm of NTSC. Now, if there were just more content...
    The advantage of 1189A is that the copper clad steel center conductor gives it stronger pull strength. That way, you don't separate the conductor when dragging it through walls. If this isn't an issue, use the 1694A.
    Todd

7. Gene Severn

Gene Severn Stunt Coordinator

Rat Shack sells pre-terminated lengths (25' , 50', and 100')lengths of quad shielded RG6 if you don't want to buy a crimping tool and connectors.

8. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

"if you don't want to buy a crimping tool and connectors"
    I think I want to finally buy my own tool and start making my own cable. Can someone recommend a place to get a decent one?
    Thanks.
    Rich B.

9. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

10. Gene Severn

Gene Severn Stunt Coordinator

Home Depot sells a professional grade ratcheting crimping tool made by Ideal. You have to buy the die separately. Separate dies are available for various sizes of coax, LAN, and phone connectors.

11. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

"You have to buy the die separately. "
    I assume a "die" is NOT a color? Sorry, but I'm new to this. Do you mean connector?
    Thanks.
    Rich B.

12. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

A die is the metal piece that fits in the crimp tool that actually crimps the sleeve or plug. There are different size dies for different brands and styles of plugs.

13. Dennis Jacob

Dennis Jacob Agent

Radio shack also carries a couple good crimping tools. Make sure what ever you buy has the various RG6, RG59 etc. The Home Depot blue Carol cable bulk quad shield is copper clad steel and very brittle. The 25ft and 50ft blue Carol is not quad shield and is copper clad steel as well. I just completed an HD DBS Dish Network install, using all Belden 1694A, and the picture quality is great. I'm also using a Panamax surge protector, but it is one designed for HD frequency and shouldn't harm or degrade the signal.
    ------------------