What's new

RG6 Quad Shield - Any differences in quality (1 Viewer)

Al Pearson

Auditioning
I am looking to rewire the house in addition to when I construct my home theatre in the basement. I need to buy about 1000 feet of RG6 Quad shield for the whiole project. Is Monster Cable RG6 CL3 from Amazon any better than the Partsexpress CL2?..or Home Depot? Will the partsexpress compression connectors (F and RCA) work with any type of quad shield? Does the percent foil and shieled make any difference? Are BNC connections useful at all? Will the tools for cutting and preparing the cable from Partsexpress work with the differnet types of cable and percent foil? (80% vs 65%)

Am I worrying too much about this?, I am going to use it for my subwoofer cables too.

Jason D.

Agent
Yes you are worrying too much....unless you will be running the cables next to power cables you will be fine with RG6. The quad I ran in my last home and they are harder to make connectors for (IMHO) and if I were you, I would buy it from wherever you can find it cheapest. I used F and F-to-RCA (from Radio Shack) adapters to run my sub with no problems. BTW I think Monster is WAY over priced and would never shell out the extra $$$ for it. Good luck!

-Jason

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Monster makes a good product, but it is overpriced. You might could go on Ebay and find it cheap for bulk though.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Al,

The Monster cable might be a better choice if you were using it for line-level audio or video signals. However, if you’re only using it for RF, I’d go with Jason’s recommendations. Regular RG-6 is fine for non-critical audio signals like subwoofers.

BNC connectors are found on professional-grade video equipment and are typically not useful in the home environment.

Not sure about the 80%-65% thing. If you provide some links to the cable you’re considering I’ll take a look at it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I use the parts express compression connectors and they've worked on all the quad shield coax I've tried them on.

The only thing you may look out for is whether the center conductor is solid copper or copper plated steel. I prefer solid copper for residential runs. Some of the stuff at Home Depot is copper plated steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks