RG6 for Component Video Cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Giddens, Nov 15, 2001.

1. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

I need some longer Component Video Cables than what I currently have and I'm not really wild about spending $170.00 if I could just make my own with RG6. I need them to be 15 feet long.
    I have a few questions though. Does each cable need to be the exact same length, like down to the millimeter? What are the advantages and disadvantages of making my own?

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

quote: I need some longer Component Video Cables than what I currently have and I'm not really wild about spending $170.00 if I could just make my own with RG6. I need them to be 15 feet long.
    I have a few questions though. Does each cable need to be the exact same length, like down to the millimeter? What are the advantages and disadvantages of making my own?[/quote]
    You don't need to pay that much for good quality cables. I just bought a set of high quality HD/component video cables 8 meters (26.5') long for quite a bit less than $170. Try www.Rhinocables.com , www.Wickedcables.com or www.Kustomkables.com .
    If you chose to make your own you do want the cables to be as close to the same length as reasonably possible, but you don't need to drive yourself nuts, .5 inch should be good.
    The 1st drawback to building your own cables is the initial cost, you have to purchase the tools. But if you are going to build a lot of similar cables then it may be worth the investment. Another drawback is lack of knowledge and experience building cables. Building cables is not rocket science, but it is a job that takes training and expereince to do properly. Experienced assemblers can build them much faster, more reliably and better looking than the amatuer who ocassionally builds 1 set. But if you already have experience building cables the learning curve is much flatter.
    FYI, early in my career I was a professional cable assembler for applications far more demanding than home theater or audio. I still have or can get access to any of the tools I need to assemble my own cables and for something I need quickly or for a one time use, I do build my own. But I still prefer to purchase most of my cables rather than build them. However, since I was a professional, I know what is involved and how much things cost. That is why I avoid boutique cable houses and give my business to companies that provide the best value, IMO.
    ------------------
    Dan
    [Edited last by Dan Driscoll on November 15, 2001 at 10:24 AM]

3. Huey

Huey Agent

3 X 25 foot shielded RG-6 cables from Ratshack with TV coaxial connectors at each end = $10 X 3 = $30
    6 X RCA to Coaxial adaptors from Ratshack = $2.5 X 6 = $15
    No need to build anything just screw RCA to coaxial adaptors to the ends of the cables and you're set. Since the cables are factory made they're gonna be very similar in length and 75 ohm impedances (best for video signals). If you don't mind the ugly, giant cables, these $45, 25-foot cables will beat those fancy, expensive component cables.
    If you can live with 12 feet, you can find good quality (RCA or Acoustic Research brands) RCA video cables that's factory made with gold connectors for about $10 each X 3 = $30 high quality component cables.
    If you want cheap, ready-made, quality cables check out www.pccables.com (search for "RCA"--there is a 25 foot component cable for $18 or 12 footer for $9) or www.a2zcables.com (search for "component"--25 footer for $60 and 12 footer for $39--premium grade).
    [Edited last by Huey on November 16, 2001 at 02:16 PM]

4. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input Dan and Huey. I'll give the RG6 a try.