What's new

RG6 Coax for Sub Connection? (1 Viewer)

Grant O

Auditioning
Howdy All,

Does it matter what kind of RG6 I get? Home Depot has them with different percentages of aluminum (60% and 40%).

Talk to me, Goose...

Grant

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Grant. Welcome to HTF!

Since the coax is so cheap, try to buy the stuff with solid-copper center conductor. The aluminum-coated stuff is so you can string it from house to house and reduce oxidization over 10 years while it sits outside in the sun/rain.

In truth, it probably does not matter for subwoofer.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
So Bob (or anyone),
Would you suggest
this
or this
I ask because one says 'Quad Shielded' the other says 'Solid,' and I'm just wondering which, if any, would be better for a 50' run in my (as of now, 'imaginary') set up.
Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Neither description tells me what the center conductor is.

Dont worry about the shielding for your in-home use. The quad shielding can actually make it harder to work with (because some connectors dont work well with it).

But the quad shielded cable makes a point about saying it passes fire codes and the "vertical fire test". So if you are running this in your walls, go for the quad shielded stuff so your insurance company cannot renig if you have a house fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks