RG6 cable run to bedroom...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tod, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Tod

Tod Agent

Okay, I know this has probably been asked many times before, but after doing a search, I couldn't find the information I need...
    What are the length limitations when running RG6 cable? More specifically, I am trying to "mirror" DirecTV in my bedroom from the receiver in my living room. I connected a 100' length of RG6 from the output on the Sat. receiver to the input on the TV in my bedroom and there was no picture. I know I had the correct video input selected on the bedroom TV. Any adivce?
    Thanks,
    -T

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yes, there is a limitation, and I think is around a hundred feet, but this doesn't sound right. My best guess is that the cable is bad. Maybe while you were 'feeding it' one of the connectors decided to come loose?
    I'd hate to suggest to run it back, but if you could substitue it for the one in your living room just to check it, or if you have cable too, and/or bring the bedroom TV into the living room, just to make sure. I hope this helps.
    Glenn

3. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Must be a big house. The 100 foot figure refers to a cable run from the dish to the receiver; that's a digital signal. More than that requires an amplifier. The output from the receiver is analog, and the limitations on cable length may be different...still, you should be getting some sort of signal.