RG59 not suitable for digital cable/digital voice/broadband?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Christ Reynolds, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    yesterday, we had a comcast tech come to our new house to install the digital phone/digital cable/cable internet package, and he took one look at the RG-59 and said he couldn't do anything until i ran RG-6 everywhere. he said the tv wouldn't even carry a picture, and the phone would cut in and out.

i know RG-6 is preferred, but would he have been able to perform any kind of install with the RG-59, and then allow me to upgrade to RG-6 within a week or so? we really need the phone service.

the cable running from the telephone pole to our house is unmarked, but looks to be RG-59. i can take a closer look when i get back home, but what good would it do to run RG-6 through my house if RG-59 is running from my house to the pole?

i'd prefer not having to run new cable all over the house, but it looks like we may have to. either way, we are pretty pissed at comcast now, if they told us we would have to run RG-6 through the house last week, it would have been ready for yesterday. thanks for any help.

CJ

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I really don't think that's accurate at all. These installers often don't know what they're talking about. Now, RG-58 might be trouble because of the impedance mismatch, but 59 should be better than marginal. It suffers some rolloff in the SHF, but I doubt it would be enough to make the TV "not even carry a picture" or the 'phone "cut in and out". And, yes, if it is 59 running to your house, the advantage of having 6 inside will be minimal — non-zero due to a slight reduction of additional attenuation, but most of the "damage" will already be done.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    RG-6 is definitely preferred, but that does seem extreme. What I have noticed with cable TV using RG-59 is some vertical “ghost” striping on the screen at the lowest channels. That was with analog cable; don’t know what the situation would be with digital cable or the phone service.

And yes if that’s RG-59 they have feeding your house, they need to change it.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Much of the broadband internet and phone signals are in the Gigahz area which is where RG6 is better. If the RG59 is fresh with clean connectors and no splitters, it would likely work.

But CATV companies hate to come out for service calls. They dont want to risk that you have 10-15 year old RG59 coax running through your house which may result in service calls for internet, more calls for the phone, etc.

I'm suprised they did not just replace the coax for you. Both my sat installer and CATV installer for my house in LA did this. (at least for the coax that was NOT in-wall).

Call them back and see if they will upgrade the coax for you. Since you are buying 3 different services, this type of upgrade is usually included.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I did a little independent contracting for Comcast and I am pretty sure they sent a indie tech without tools and connectors to work on the thinner cable and if he was being paid by the job he knew he would spend a lot of time running new cable (which came out of his expenses) and would only get paid for the installation package which was not alot.
    Basically a losing proposition for the guy.