RG59 - digital HD cable signal

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by DonaldL, May 12, 2006.

1. DonaldL

DonaldL Auditioning

Can an 80-foot run of RG59 handle digital HD cable?

I just looked into the wall and the interior of my house is wired with RG59.

It seems to work ok with regular analog cable, but I am hoping to upgrade to Comcast's digital HD.

Would an amplifier help in any way?

Thanks,

------
    Donald

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It’ll work fine.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. DonaldL

DonaldL Auditioning

Thanks Wayne.

And my wife doubly thanks you, since I was preparing to re-wire the house.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Donald, I must have missed something then I first saw your post. With cable TV, it’s best to use RG-6. Sorry ’bout that...

No need to re-wire the whole house, though. I’d only do the locations you really care about – home theater room, perhaps master bedroom. Personally, I’m not particularly concerned about one of my kids getting a pristine picture in their rooms. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You might let the Comcast guys decide if they want to run new coax as part of your install. I suspect you will need an upgrade.

RG6 is designed to handle the Gigahertz frequencies which include Broadband internet, Satelite and HD Digital. RG59 was designed around the Kilohertz->Megahertz frequencies for analog CATV/RF signals.

6. steveGamble

steveGamble Stunt Coordinator

Hey , just to jump in on this, I am running rg59 for HDTV Expresview as well as reg satelite on other receivers.
    Should I be using RG6 on the High Def, run of cable ? I just thought the sheilding was different.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    As I noted above, RG-6 should be used with cable TV. I’m not an expert on the subject (some one chime in if I’m out to lunch), but it’s not the shielding that matters, but the physical construction of RG-59 vs. –6 that makes the difference. RG-6 has a thicker center conductor, plus the dielectric (the white “plastic” surrounding the center conductor) is also thicker, which puts the shield further away from the center conductor. As I understand it, it’s those factors that make RG-6 suitable for higher bandwidth signals that cable TV and satellites have.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. johnADA

johnADA Stunt Coordinator

All cable and sat. installers will no longer even use 59 for anything.
    The 6 does have a thicker center core and also better shielding. I had 59 going from the cable splitter to the bedroom TV for years and it was OK. Then I installed a LCD in the bedroom and it had alot of noise showing up on the screen. A buddy of mine that installs cable tested the signal strength and it was down some, but not below their recommended specs so he for grins, made me up a 6 cable. WORLD of difference for the picture even though it just brought the signal from tje low end to the middle. SOLD ME!!