RG-6 for speaker wire

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by chrisMU, Jun 10, 2005.

1. chrisMU

chrisMU Auditioning

Does anyone know if you can use RG-6 for speaker wire? I have 14 guage wire installed(new construction home), but I am afraid of interference with electrical lines. I would use RG-6 with the RCA compression fittings. Does this sound like a good idea, or not?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It would be virtually impossible to connect RG-6 to a receiver’s binding posts, Chris. Not to mention the center conductor is only 18 ga. or so.

The 14 ga. wire you’ve already installed is fine. Interference with speaker wires is a virtual non-issue, especially if you avoid running it directly alongside electrical lines.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

If you are worried about interference, you might try a Cat5 based speaker wire setup. TNT Audio has a great DIY section on cabling.Triple Cat 5 Speaker Wires

Just a thought,

DG

4. Tom Rosback

Tom Rosback Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    If you're using the normal 14 GA low voltage wiring, two conductors, twisted, in a vinyl jacket, you're good to go.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I'd only worry about it if I was doing a long run against a line-voltage, high current power cable that was SCR-dimmed to about 50%. Speaker-levels are pretty hard to muck up.

Leo