1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

RG-6 for long subwoofer cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas F, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine has purchased the Onkyo S655 HTiB and needs to run a long subwoofer cable through the attic to the sub that has to be located behind the couch due to the WAF. This could possibly require 40'-50' of cable. He is on a budget and a local Tweeter manager suggested that he could use a solid core coaxial cable such as RG-6u. Would this compromise the signal reaching the sub and consequently the sound? Has anybody tried anything similar?

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

At one tome I replaced every interconnect I had with RG-6 Quad shielded cable, loved it only problem I had was stiffness. Heavy Mic cable works well and is more flexible, may be a little more difficult finding big enough wire. . .
    Another option is to buy interconnect wire and good terminators in bulk to make your own, try MCM Electronics, or Parts Express

3. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

I use stranded core RG-6 (Canare LV-77S) for all of my interconnects including my subwoofer. It works great.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

As long as it is true RG-6. You can get cheap coaxial cable that is meant for cable TV, but that stuff is no good.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

RG6 is the way to go for the sub. You can also get one 20' Radio Shack Gold Stereo Cable, pull them apart to split the line, couple them with a Radio Shack connector (about $2) and create a 40' cable. If you need more get another coupler and some more cable, but truth be told- I would only split the line once and only as long as I knew that the cable would never ger pulled on.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I use this approach in my current setup for my second sub with a 50' run of RG6 cable. I also used it in my old HT room as well (a 40' run).

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer