What's new

rg-6 coaxial( newbie here ) (1 Viewer)

Tom _C

Auditioning
Hi everyone,
Im the new kid on the block and need some advice. I have to move my audio and video stuff any from the mits 55809 i just received to last week(first one).I have to rerun the cable from the cable box to the tv which is 24ft.I also just bought a panny rp 56 at sears for $207 inc tax, and i want to make component video cables for it because i also need 24 ft of cable. Now i hear canare has great connectors for rg-6 coxail cable. Is there a brand name of rg-6 cable i should look for that canare with fit properly on or will any do? What kind of connectors would go on the component cable. Tools are there crimps that will work for both kinds of connectors i need(component and cable box connectors). Is rg-6 an acceptable solution to my problem? Thanks to all who respond.
Tom
ps Anyone know of a on the ball tv calibrator for my tv in michigan.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Canare makes RG-6 (L-5CFB or LV-77S will work). The Canare catalog has a cross reference chart of which connectors to use on other manufacturers cable. There website may also have this info.
The die will work for both RCA type connectors (component video) and F connectors (cable box type connector). www.markertek.com is an excellent place to get what you need.
Good luck.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Tom. Welcome to HTF. I hope you will enjoy your stay here.
There is another thread that deals with making your own component cables:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/044901.html
Some people have just bought CATV coax in RG6 and used it for video cables and claim it works fine.
But all coaxial cables have an upper limit of frequencies that they can handle. RG59 coax works well for RF frequencies, RG6 for low Microwave frequencies, but the upper video frequencies are a bit higher, and HD/Progressive video need a bit more than that.
Canare makes some nice 3-conductor video cable that just happens to mate with it's RCA plugs. Since this stuff is only about $1.80 / foot, it's well worth it.
Here is a link to a site that tells you exactly how to build your own cables:
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm
Good Luck.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
RG6 will work great for the upper limits of HD/Progressive. The three conductor Canare cable is 3 runs of L-5CFB in one sleeve. The L-5cfb is RG6. As noted.. see Chris Whites page. It is excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks