What's new

RF Modulator with S-Video (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Was in Wallyworld a few weeks ago and saw one of these puppys and was wondering if this was a gimmick or if there would be significant improvement in video quality. Feedback, comments, etc would be most helpful.

Thanx in advance!

D

Robert F.

Auditioning
I seen one of these RF modulators with s-video output at Radio Shack today and I want to know the very same answer.

Robert

greg_t

Screenwriter
Let me see if I have this right. the RF modulator allows you to output either S-video or composite from the dvd player into the modulator which then will let you connect to your TV via coax cable. If this is correct, it shouldn't make any difference because either way, you are going from a higher quality source (s-video or composite) to a lower quality source (RF coax). So either way, you are still coming out to the same end result. The chroma and luminance channel will be combined either way with the signal in RF form, so you come out to the same end result. All you can do is buy one and try it out. Or better yet, try to save that cash for a TV with an S-video input. That would get you a much bigger gain.

Robert F.

Auditioning
What I want to do is convert RF coax(cable tv input) into s-video or composite so I can then input this into an AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V2400) that will upconvert all video signals to component. Then I will have one connection to the tv monitor and all other video connections (cable,dvd,vcr) to receiver.

Robert

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
It is not a gimmick, it has a valid purpose in life.

The RF modulator that takes S-video and outputs channel 3 or 4 will not improve the picture. It is the only way of getting any picture when connecting up a source such as an HDTV set top tuner box with only S-video NTSC output to a TV with only antenna coax input. Use of this device will keep many old TV's in use long after NTSC broadcasts cease ca. 2006.

The easiest good way of tuning in cable TV channels and getting the best picture is to connect the cable box output directly to the TV's antenna input or composite input if the TV has a 3D or 3 line comb filter. Otherwise an S-VHS VCR is a good RF to S-video or composite to S-video converter if you really must have everything go through your A/V receiver and only one cord going to a TV with S-video and/or component video jacks.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks