What's new

RF modulator Not Needed (1 Viewer)

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
RF modulator Not Needed

Hi all,

I am posting this information for those of you who think an RF modulator is necessary for displaying DVD video on a TV that only has a coaxial antenna connection.

I just purchased my first DVD player, first HT receiver, first cd changer, and first stereo VCR.

Below is a list of the equipment I am using:

DVD-Audio: Panasonic DVD RA60
Receiver: Rotel RSX-1055 (silver)
CD: Sony SACD 5-disc changer (CE775??)
VCR: Sony SLV-N88
TV: Sharp 25” mono
Speakers: I just completed 3 Audio Concepts “Sapphire” speakers from DIY kits

My next purchases will probably be a subwoofer - within the next 6 months or less, followed by a digital TV within 2 years.

In some posts the last few weeks, a number of HTF members have commented that I would need an RF modulator to get audio from a DVD player hooked up to a TV that has no inputs (e.g. composite, s-video, component) other than coaxial antenna.

However, this is not the case. I have the incoming cable signal going into the VCR via coax cable, and then into the TV via another coax cable. I hooked the analog audio outputs from the DVD into the receiver and the composite video goes from the DVD into the VCR. To watch a DVD, I turn on the VCR and put it on AUX input (this precedes channel 2). (Actually on the Sony VCR the Aux channel is called “L1” I think).

Why spend $30 on a RF modulator and add another connection?? With my setup, I don’t think I need one. My picture is great. It is possible, that the picture could be better with an RF modulator (i doubt it), but I am very happy with the picture I am getting with this hookup.

Similarly, for displaying the Rotel On Screen Display (OSD) menu, I have another composite video cable from the “monitor out” hooked to the VCR “video in”.

Sorry if this information is widely known, but since people commented that I’d need a RF modulator, I thought this info could be helpful to a few people.

Best regards,
Jack

brucek

Second Unit
Jack,

Yep, most people are aware of this, but you still may have a problem in the future, or you may get lucky. You're using the RF modulator inside your VCR to convert the baseband signal from the DVD player.

A lot of VCR's (read most) have a problem with Macrovision copyright protection encoding that is present on a lot of DVD's. Televisions don't have this problem.

This is why it was recommended that you feed the output of the DVD directly to your TV using an external RF modulator as opposed to looping through the VCR and using its RF modulator.

If it's working for you on all your DVD's then that's great, you've saved thirty bucks...........

brucek

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bruce, i was not aware of that issue with Macrovision copyright protection. I guess I'll know why if I encounter that problem!!!;)
jack

brucek

Second Unit
Jack,
I'm sure everyone has told you this already, and I'm sure there are many reasons for holding back, but, all that nice equipment and you're watching modulated DVD's?
You're going to be some thrilled when you feed that DVD player through a new TV with component or S-Video.. :)
brucek

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce,
For the last 2 years, we have just had a mono tv and a mono vcr. my 12 year old 2-channel (40 watts) receiver died 2 years ago, so i was listening to a cd player thru a "boom--box". All this since we were lining in an apartment while saving for a house and then having it built. I tell you this to demonstrate that for us, we are thrilled to have 5-channel sound and the video will come in time.
Like I said, my next purchases will probably be a subwoofer - within the next 6 months or less, followed by a digital TV within 2 years. However, if i get the promotion at work that I am working on, i might just bump up the TV purchase sooner. My wife wants a plasma tv; neither of us want a rear-projection unit - but maybe the sony wega 60". A 42" plasma is too small, 50" looks about right, but the $10,000 price (minimum0 + service agreement is a bit steep for us. We just bought all that other equipment. When the 50" plasma units dip down to $6K or so, we're in! :emoji_thumbsup:
Also, we have to decide if we are going to make such an investment, whether or not we really need it to be HDTV capable.
Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks