What's new

RF modulator for DVD w/old TV (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A friend is moving into her new place and wants a DVD, but she has an old TV, so I was thinking about RF mod to take care of this until she can pick up a newer TV. Any particular ones that are good? I was looking at the ones that Partsexpress carries, and they look OK for about $30. Will there be a problem with macrovision with these?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Radio Shack also sell these, and if you don't like the quality of the video, you can return it easily.

Macrovision usually causes more problems when the video is run through a VCR (and the recording function is on) because of the macrovision messing with the Automatic Gain Circuitry to produce the nasty pulsating video.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
As Patrick said, Macrovision should only be an issue of you are trying to run the output through a VCR (not sure if it matters whether or not it is set to record).

I have a Recoton modulator, and was actually pretty surprised at the PQ when connected to an old school (20 years old!) Sylvania TV.

And a modulator will be a lot cheaper than a new TV, if money is a concern.

BGL

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It doesn't matter if record is on, you will get macrovision banding/dimming, that I know for certain. I was just not certain about RF mod, since none of them say anything about DVD players. I was guessing not, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with that, and money is a concern for her at this time. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks