What's new

RF Modulator and Receiver problem with sound. Need help. (1 Viewer)

ShaanB

Grip
I have a old tv that only has an RF connection in the back. I bought an RF modulator to hook it up to the receiver. I have the Pioneer D711. I hooked up a dvd and a ps2 with no problems with sound or video. I am trying to get stereo from the tv so that I can watch shows in Prologic 2 or stereo or whatever. The RF modulator seems to be passing the video to the receiver with no problems, but I don't understand why the sound won't come on from the tv. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there no solution to this?

thanks

I'm confused, does the TV have no sound, or is it not in sereo?

If the former, double-checking that the audio cables are connected correctly to the RF modulator, TV volume is set corrently and not muted, etc would pretty much guarantee that your RF modulator is defective.

If it's the latter case, then it seems unlikely that any cheap RF modulator would encode the signal in stereo on the RF output. Even most good VCRs won't do it.

ShaanB

Grip
The tv has sound i just wanted it to go to the receiver so I can listen to the shows on the sound system rather than the built in tv speakers. What i can't understand is that the RF modulator is passing the video to the receiver with no problem but it's not able to pass the sound to the receiver.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think you're stuck. if i understand you correctly:

dvd/ps2 --> rf modulator --> tv

unless your modulator and/or tv have audio *outputs*, then there is no way for the sound to leave your signal path. i seriously doubt your tv has audio outputs if it doesn't have audio inputs.

remember that your modulator is combining both the audio and video signals into one path (your coax cable) for your tv.

if you see any red and white plugs, and they're labeled AUDIO-OUT, then you can run cables from those plugs to your receiver.

[edit] actually, i just thought of something. your dvd and/or ps should have audio outputs. just connect the plugs from those components into your receiver. at least that way, when you watch those components, you can get sound to your receiver. if you have a tv cable-box, you can check to see if it has outputs as well.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It will only pass to the TV what is connected to it. If there is no audio signal going into the modulator, then there will be no sound to the TV.

Either way, as Ted noted, the modulator is sending a signal to the TV. You will not be able to get an audio feed from the TV with the modulator.

If you want to hear TV programs on your system you’ll need a cable box, VCR or other component with audio outputs that can be plugged into the D711.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ShaanB

Grip
This is how it's being connected

TV----> RF modulator ----> Receiver

The RF modulator has video and audio output jacks. I connected the video jack to the receiver and there is no problem with that. The problem is the audio does not get fed into the receiver. Why is it that the video has no problem on the receiver but the audio does?

The way it worked before was the cable was going directly to the tv. The standard signal was going to the tv. Now we have a 5.1 receiver, but the tv doesn't have any rca jacks so we got the RF modulator. The RF modulator is sending the signal to the receiver now. I know that the video is working and is able to be switched between a dvd player and a ps2. All I am trying to do is get the sound from the tv to play into the receiver.

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i assume then that you have tried connecting the audio out from the modulator to the receiver - using the red & white plugs?

i would think, if the modulator outputs a video feed, then it should simultaneously output an audio feed.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

And by "sound from the TV" - I assume you mean like cable tv shows? You should be hetting audio from the DVD player and PS2 just fine (and both should really be connected directly to the receiver).

The video you're seeing is working fine because these devices (PS2 and DVD) are connected directly to the RF modulator, which passes video to the TV-- and the cable feed is connected directly to the TV-- so all 3 should provide video.

However, the modulator can only pass out a copy what it is geting in... it should be able to pass the DVD and PS2 audio (if it has an extra set of outputs)- since the audio from those devices are connected to it.

However- the cable signal coming into the house, if it is tuned by the tuner in the tv, is not being sent to the modulator (neither the audio or video- both are directly routed to the TV to be tuned by the tuner in the TV)-- so there is no way for the modulator to pass these signals to the receiver.

The best solution would be to get a cable box or VCR to tune the cable signal, these devices will have audio outputs you can route to the receiver, as Wayne mentioned above.

-V

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You seem to have the "from" and the "to" confused.

The RF modulator will not take anything from the TV and deliver it to the A/V receiver. It only delivers to the TV via the antenna coax cord.

Nothing useful comes out the TV's antenna coax jack, that jack is only for feeding signal into the TV.

To get the DVD sound on your system you connect the audio (red/white) cables directly to the receiver leaving the RF modulator red/white jacks empty. The receiver video out (yellow or S-video) connects to the modulator.

You will need audio switch boxes if you want the choice of DVD and game (one box apiece connected backwards plus one box to choose which gets to the modulator plus a boatload of audio cables) sound going to the system or to the TV and also not have to turn on the system when you want the sound from the TV. More trouble than it is worth to not use the system all the time (except use the TV speakers all the time for shows tuned in by the TV's own channel selector).

You might as well (if not already) use a VCR as described above rather than the TV's own channel selector to tune in regular TV shows. To use the TV's own tuner you need an RF switch box to decide which signal (from the RF modulator or from the antenna/cable box) gets to the TV's one antenna jack. With the VCR, the antenna or cable box cord goes to the VCR and only one cord, from the modulator, goes to the TV. (Some modulators have a built in RF switch box and a second coax jack to accept the antenna cord and pass through the TV channels.)

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks