RF interferance from Sony Megachanger?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Uebinger, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Brad Uebinger

Brad Uebinger Auditioning

I just bought a Sony 400 disk megachanger. Since setting it up, it seems that I've been getting some RF interference on my television, particularly on the lower cable channels. The CD Jukebox is only a few inches away from the television. Given the design of the entertainment system, it would be very inconvenient to to move either the TV or the Jukebox. Is the Sony doing this? Or is the quality of my cable connection suddenly going bad? Since I've already loaded the changer with almost 400 disks, it would be a pain to relocate it, and the TV is situated right between the main speakers. I don't know how to move that without completely remodeling the whole HT setup. (I'd have to unload the CD changer and move everything around.) Is there an easy way to shield the TV (or the changer) to stop this, maybe with plain old aluminum foil?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you're getting the interference even when the Sony changer is switched off, it's unlikely that's the cause. OTOH, if the interference comes and goes depending on whether the Sony is on, then you've found the culprit.

Double-check all your cable connections. You'd be amazed at how much interference can result from nothing more than a loose connector. And if you've been installing components near the TV, the cable wiring might have been jarred, and sometimes that's all it takes.

M.

3. Brad Uebinger

Brad Uebinger Auditioning

Ruling out problems with the cable is a very good idea, indeed. You should see how the previous owner of the property strung coax cable to where the TV is located. Really sloppy work. I'll check all the cabling this weekend and see if that fixes it. Oddly enough, the problem has gotten noticably better over the last 24 hours or so, even though I didn't change anything. It's still not completely resolved, though. I'll do some experimenting over the weekend and track down the problem. Thanks for the help!