What's new

'Rez' rules! (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
How can a game where the graphics consist almost entirely of wireframes, simple shaded polygons and plasma effects (with midi music) be so damned good?

Well, it is.

Take a trip to another world. This game is like TRON (the movie) meets Tempest 2000 and Panzer Dragoon .

Un friggin believable.

Buy this import for your DC NOW. If you must, buy the PS2 version, but it's not as good; you really want 480p for this game if you can get it.

Three thumbs up!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
dear Micheal,

thank you for posting your glowing review of rez. i hate you and everyone else who has this game.

love,

kelley

seriously this is my most wanted game of the year, and i am stuck between importing it or just buying the american PS2 release. what are the differences besides the VGA mode support? I would think the audio would be better coming out of the PS2's digital out?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Kelly,

I imagine that the audio is better from the PS2. However, on the DC, the 480p looks a lot better than the 480i because (like Jet Grind Radio) the graphics are extremely high-contrast and there is tearing galore in 480i. It's a shame the PS2 doesn't do 480p, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Once you see it both ways you'll agree that 480p has to be the way to go.

I also believe that BrianB said that he knows some people (in europe, or in the industry, not sure) who said the DC version was better, period.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I don't suppose that there is an Xbox version coming down the pike?

-Dave

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i got rez, pretty sweet game.. though pretty simple IMHO, music is cool... :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Rez is also a short, short game!

The game has grown on me in a big way, though. At first I was put off by how quickly I blazed through the first 5 levels, only to 'beat' the game and suddenly see scrolling end credits.

But 'Beyond Mode'
got unlocked and I realized that I only had 3 out of 22 possible options unlocked. There are also several additional 'hidden levels' and an option to play through all five levels at once.

To end, there's more to this game than meets the eye at first. I would suggest a rental, but I am personally glad I own it. It's a great 'zone out' game for those extra mellow evenings...

Joseph

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I think I've ranted about this topic before.
Rez is not a game you play through once to finish & then throw aside like a lot of Western games. It's about style, score & skill. You get that by playing it again & again, just like the shooters of old.
Morgan need not apply ;)
[added] Before I start a flamewar, Morgan has gone on record as saying he tends to not like games that are aimed at repeat plays instead of 'once through' games.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Too late for this one. According to the likes of EB's computer systems, it's been discontinued already - one small PS2 pressing & that's it.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Brian,

Somehow that doesn't surprise me (about the limited pressing). I initially had a hard time finding this one.

It's about style, score & skill. You get that by playing it again & again, just like the shooters of old.
Agreed. In the last week I've found myself picking this one up again and again. I just had to first hurdle my unconscious bias to be drawn to games that have the appearance of depth from the get-go.

Joseph

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Discontinued already? Are people saying this because it's been difficult to find in stores or is there some sort of official Sega comment on this?

I'll look in to it. It's a good game and deserves an audience.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Camp, these are EB employees saying they got a handful of copies in & their stock computers are saying it's discontinued - they cannot & will not be getting more in.
Nothing official has been said by Sega - this is all based on EB & Gamestop employee comments on Gaming Age, The Next Level etc. Not the most reliable of sources I will happily agree.
Link Removed

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Rez is just amazing. Sure, the end credits arrive pretty quickly, but its a heartless gamer that woudn't want to experience level 5 again in particular. Adam Freeland's music and the stunning graphics combine to produce something unlike anything I've ever seen before. This is one game that I can see me playing in ten years time and not wanting the graphics to be better; the world looks the way it does, and can't be improved really.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
GameSpot posted something about how Rez is just not in large quanities, but it is out there.

How long is the game exactly?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I researched Rez today at work. There are several thousand copies at the TRU game distribution center. Stores did receive a very small initial shipment but there are more waiting to replenish sell-outs.

No evidence at all that it's been discontinued by TRU.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Just like to say do whatever you have to do to get this game. REZ is an experience that no one should miss out on.

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
Although I haven't seen the PS2 version of Rez, the DC version via RGB is incredible. I don't think I've ever played a game over and over again as much as I have this one. Level 5 amazes me every time, and the boss at the end of level 4 is quite a blast too. I made the mistake of playing this in my theater room projected onto a 106" screen and now nothing smaller will do... talk about total immersion. BTW-this is a great game for anyone who is afraid to play videogames on a CRT projector because you can hide all the static displays on the screen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks