Rez $19.99 at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayF, Jul 2, 2002.

1. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

Is this game OOP? This is a great price for an incredible game.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

You'd be stooopid not to pick this up for that price.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Is it a GH now? I was at BB last week and it was still $50.

4. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

Don't think it's a GH, just repriced to move it is my guess. The price change must have just occurred today or yesterday because I saw it at $50 on Sunday.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

A superb game.

And another game that was 'rumoured' to be out of print soon after its release. Strangely, there's plenty of copies of it around - enough for BB to need to mark it down to clear the shelves of it...

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Sega never made many copies of the game, nor did they think it would sell well. Its no wonder that its hard to find and amazingly cheap when you do find it.

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I snagged the last copy my local Best Buy had.

Now, if I could only find a copy of "Frequency"... I got addicted to the demo on the Summer JamPack...

8. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Anbyone found without a copy of Rez should be declared unfit to own their console, surely? This is just a complete gamer's game, rather like Super Monkey Ball or Tempest. I can't believe this sold so poorly.

9. JoseEduardo

JoseEduardo Second Unit

hummmm......what exactly is Rez? never heard of that one.......for what system???

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

It was a DC game, but its on PS2 in America. Someone else can explain the gameplay.

I love my copy of Frequency. When you get the PS2 network adapter, you can play a demo of Frequency Online, but if you have the full game already, just pop it in and you can play all the songs online. Yay!

11. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

REZ! I just unlocked the final area.

So now what do I do? Do you keep going back into the other levels to get perfect scores or do you go for the score attacks or...?

12. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

JoshF. If you've done the final area (I presume you mean level 5, 'Fear is the Mind Killer'), then its on to 'lost area' and score attack, but I'd recommend going for the direct assault - complete all five areas in one continuous sitting to get access to different colour schemes and the ability to start the game in a different form.

edit - oh, and to explain the gameplay on this DC or PS2 game (if you want the DC release you'll need a European of Japanese import), its basically Panzer Dragoon crossed with Tempest 3000. Your character is on rails, and you move a cursor around targetting the things that need shooting. Its all about balancing your safety by hitting them quickly with running up a high score by stringing together multiples, really. At the same time you're influencing the rushing techno score and the surreal graphics that look like hardly any other game ever - Tron on drugs. Its intense and yet soothing at the same time somehow, and an experience that everyone should at least try. Its a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer

15. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious if anyone has played both the Dreamcast & Playstation 2 versions of the game. The PS2 version seems a bit "easier" than the Dreamcast version. A few things I I've noticed...

1) The targeting area seems more "generous" than on the Dreamcast version. You don't have to be as accurate.
    2) There seem to be more powerups.
    3) The music seems a bit different in some places.
    4) In certain areas there seem to be fewer enemies to target (on Level 5 about half way through when the cylinder shaped vessel is in the sky and targets come out of both sides the Dreamcast version seems to have a lot more going on).
    5) There is slowdown during the boss level on level 4 when the "rockets" are coming toward you. I don't recall this happening on the Dreamcast.
    6) This one might be totally whacky, but if I can describe it correctly, the graphics don't seem to merge together as nicely on the PS2 version. It seems more like objects floating in front of projected background than actually being part of a whole.

Maybe I've just played the Dreamcast version too long, but it sure seems like the better version to me (plus VGA out!)

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

They say the PS2 is one of the hardest consoles to develop for, while the DC was one of the easiest. This could have some effect on how the graphics and gameplay are on the PS2 vs. the DC.

17. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

If you guys find this at Best Buy, don't forget that "$5 off a $19.99 or more game or accessory" coupon that's in some of the current video game magazines (there's one on page 113 of the August issue of EGM).
    I'm an employee, and I checked my discount on Rez today (two copies left), and get nothing off the $19.99 price--but the $5 coupon takes it down to $14.99.
    "So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. . ." [​IMG]
    -mwb-

18. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

Just picked up Rez, $20 well spent. What a great gaming experience. Too bad this didn't release domestically for the DC and didn't have more success in it's PS2 format.

19. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Oooh, thanks for the tip, Matt! I must've overlooked that coupon (again!).

-Dave

20. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Yes, I was talking about area 5. The strange thing is that I finally finished the level, she "shattered", I got the message that she still "lives in the sytem," but the main area of the game says that my analyzation of area 5 is at 0%. ???

Weird.