What's new

Rex the Runt: I laughed so hard! (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen anything mentioned about this DVD, but it's soooo darn good!
Originally developed for the BBC, "Rex the Runt" is a story of Rex, a dog, and his canine friends Bad Bob, Wendy and Vince. This is the first time the series has been seen in North America; it hasn't aired on TV.
My friend and I sat down and nearly died laughing while we did a marathon session of all 26 episodes from the 2 seasons. The humor of the show is "out there", so it should appeal to the demented side of us. Vince is my favorite character, with his "random Pavorotti disease" and his love of Hoovers.
The only problem with this set (and it's kind of a big one) is the audio channels on the second disc have been swapped. Right is left and left is right. I've alerted the A&E PR person and I HOPE they will fix it. This is such a great set and a problem like that really drags it down. Even with the audio problem I'd still recommend it.
Anyway, if you want to read my review of the set, it's up at: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/siterevi...ReleaseID=1371
Gord
P.S. Tuesday!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Yup, some of those are from the set. Obviously the set has more content than what's on AtomFilms, but it's the same thing.

Gord

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Damn, I really want this one. dv-depot still doesn't list it (nor does play.com), but more importantly why has this bbc property not been announced for R2 release?!?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Alright, A&E checked the second disc and didn't find any problems with it. Last night I emailed them exact times of where the sound was coming out of one speaker and should be coming out of the other. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it :)
Sean, I loved the show. It sounds like you caught it on BBC when it first aired. Do you know the aspect ratio of the show? It's 1.33:1 on the DVD, but I have a feeling it should be 1.78:1. There's a "trailer" for series 2 which is shown in fullscreen but is stretched.
Gord

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I only caught the Rex the Runts they were showing late night on BBC2 at the end of last year so I'm far from having seen all of them, but they are some of the funniest stuff Aardman has ever done.

I view all my tv in Natural Wide mode, so I really couldn't tell you the OAR, but I'm pretty sure it was 1.78:1 because 4:3 in Natural Wide does look a little zoomed in (although I don't really notice anymore so I could be wrong-o) and this looked just perfecto.

I think I'll hold off for an R2 announcement. Given that Aardman Classics is out over here (and not been released in R1 to my knowledge), and given that Aardman is a British company I'd be shocked if there wasn't an eventual release here, but then you'd think you could get something other than best-ofs for Monty Python and you can get the whole series in R1, so who knows?

James Reader

Screenwriter
Anyone know about the Canadian release? Amazon.ca still say available within 1-2 weeks and I've had the set on preorder for a couple of months. :frowning:

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Gord, are you sure you didn't just have a defective disc? Digitally Obsessed posted their review of the disc this morning, and didn't mention anything of the nature you experienced on disc 2.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
It's totally possible that I have a defective disc, that's why A&E is sending me another one to review. I really hope it's defective since it's the only thing dragging this set down.

Now, if it IS defective, how do you think that would happen? I could see picture breakup being caused by a scratch, but the audio tracks being reversed? How would that be possible? Any ideas?

Gord

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

I received another set from A&E and had the same problem as the first (on 3 different machines). I also emailed Dan at DoC and asked him to check his copy. He wrote back and said on another viewing of the disc he noticed the left and right tracks were reversed as well. I wonder why he hasn't updated his review...

Still no word from A&E, but if you ask me...this set is defective.

Gord

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just got done watching this set. I preferred the first season over the second, but overall it's very funny! My review will be up some time next week, and I hope to turn a few more people on to this bizarrely clever little show.
Man, A&E puts out some quality "off the beaten path" kinda stuff! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Scott, did you notice the left and right reversal on the second disc as well?

Here are some times for the first two episodes to take a look at:

Episode 1 "Mouse in Me House"
0:35 - "Honestly...." - Comes from right speaker, should be left
1:10 - Scream - Comes from left speaker, tossed to the right
3:03 - "Let's talk..." - Comes from left speaker, walks to right
3:40 - Bob's scream - Comes from right speaker, runs left
5:55 - Sound Effects - Comes from Right speaker, happens to the left

Episode 2 - Wendy's Hot Date
0:13 - Rex "What do you mean" - Comes from right speaker, he's to the left
1:08 - Sound effect - Comes from left speaker, Rex is pushed to the right
1:40 - "Hello Rex..." - Comes from the right speaker, Wendy enters from the left
2:05 - Wendy "Why not?" - Comes from right speaker, she's standing to the left
3:06 - Choking sound - Comes from right speaker, Rex is to the left
4:28 - Growling Sound - Comes from left speaker, Vince exits to right
5:48 - Swoosh sound - Pans from right to left, Rex runs left to right
6:51 - Wendy "Come on Vince" - Comes from right speaker, she's off to the left

Gord

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Gord, I'm no help.

I didn't notice anything 'off' when I watched Disc 2 (but I was hardly on what you'd call a 'home theater' when I watched it).

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you get a chance try watching it on something with stereo sound (headphones are fine) and let me know if you notice a problem with the left and right audio being switched up.

Gord

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Gord-

I just checked my copy and on disc 2 the sound is also reversed. I also had called A&E about the Captain Scarlet/Pioneer compatabilty issue and nothing ever happened with that. I will call them again about this.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
See, this is what I dislike about finding problems. I let A&E know through the PR guy and he said there aren't any problems with the set, and no one else reported problems in their reviews. So here I am looking like I'm retarded or don't know how to hook up speakers, and it turns out I'm really the only person that paid enough attention to the audio while reviewing the set.

Sometimes this stuff baffles me.

Gord

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Gord-
Thanks again for posting this set, even if you now feel
like you're getting flack for calling attention to the
audio issues.
I almost think there should be a thread about all Aardman
animation, or even "Brit" animation on DVD, because as a
fan of Wallace and Gromit or Chicken Run more people ought to know about this set who
might be currently oblivious.
(PS thanks for the drygrass interface, too.)
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks