Rewind those DVDs from Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Simon Massey, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    I am not sure if this has been posted, but this just defies belief :

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Small wonder, then, that BB's reputation around here is little better than the feelings toward pan-and-scan.

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

What was the source? The Onion? I can't believe that is serious.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    [​IMG] You've GOT to be shittin me!!

5. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I see you are from a big city.
    Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of video stores like the ones in my home town.
    Our manager insisted there was an ET Part 2.
    I'm sure he's rewinding dvds, too.[​IMG]

6. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

Just to play devil's advocate here, let's take a closer look at the long "Be kind Rewind" stickers on a Blockbuster VHS spine. Underneath the sticker is the security device, the small metal strip that makes the alarm go off when it is passed through it.

Now, let's look at the plastic case that Blockbuster rents the DVDs in. Somewhere on the inside, there is usually a small black sticker, which also has a security strip underneath it. This would be to hopefully prevent people from just walking off with the entire box.

Now, if a Blockbuster were to run out of the small black stickers, I'm sure they would want something on the box that would make the alarm go off. Thus the VHS sticker.

Now, as for the manager and corporate office thinking they can still rewind, I'm thinking that was a bit exaggerated.

Jimmy!

7. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

This might be a tiny bit off topic here, but whenever I rent DVDs from "Video City" they print out their own DVD covers (so that you don't get the original covers). Anyway, on their own DVD covers, they also say, that all DVDs must be rewound.

8. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
  9. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

Remember that those "Please Be Kind And Rewind" stickers are a security magnetic tag. Same thing they use on their VHS tapes.
    Regardless, the a Blockbuster Manager told you that DVDs can be rewound, it is indeed a sign of the apocalypse [​IMG]

10. Shel

Shel Auditioning

For the record I used to manage a Blockbuster. It boils down to laziness and expenses, a lot of the franchise stores are unwilling to put out the money to buy new security lables for discs. Our DM made us put the rewind labels on video game carts.

11. MatthewD

MatthewD Auditioning

haha.....idiots

12. Michael St. Clair

This happened MANY years ago on laserdiscs at the few BB locations that carried them. They had 'do not rewind' security stickers, and every once in a while some idiot employee would insist that the discs did need rewinding.

The more some things change, the more they remain the same.

13. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if any of these idiots ever actually checked to see if the Lasedisc/DVD was rewound? There's no way to just look at it and see if it's rewound like a VHS tape. I can just picture an employee going through stacks of returned discs checking them:

"Yep, this one starts at the beginning, too. People who rent DVDs are much better at rewinding than people who rent VHS."

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
  15. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Unfortuneately my DVD rewinder broke a while ago, and I can't find a new one. I don't want to use my player to rewind because it wears it out to quickly. Also the player doesn't slow the discs down as it finishes rewinding them, and they just crash to a halt when they are done rewinding!

16. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

This is only TOO funny.
    I would've LOVED having the manager show me how to rewind a DVD.
    [​IMG]

17. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Jeff, you can always buy one those $69.99 "DVD players" to perform the rewind function.
    [​IMG]
    Here was the source listed in the above link:
    http://www.dumbwarnings.com
    Thy have the standard disclaimer: I still don't believe a manager said, "DVDs can be rewinded..." And who is this Kunsun Sweeley person?

18. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    Is it just me, or are there others just as confused as I am by this thread? Are you guys suggesting that I have been wasting my time sitting there with the remote in hand after the movie ends with the rewind button pressed? I know it's not good for the DVD player head but I ain't that stupid you know, I got me a cheap $60 player for the rewinding job. I am sure a company the size of Blockbuster knows a lot more than you guys anyhow and I ain't falling for your false propoganda. Also to those of you who have not been rewinding your DVDs, shame on you, you should have a little more courtesy for those who might rent the disc after you. There, I said my piece and I don't care what you guys say.

Sanjay

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Damn.
    And I just spent $30 on a DVD rewinder...I guess I'll have to eBay it. [​IMG]

20. Jon Strong

Jon Strong Agent

I work at Hollywood Video and EVERYONE who works there think people at Blockbuster are dumbasses.

(BTW, I always advocate widescreen to customers and pummel them if they disagree. Works Every Time.)