What's new

revisiting older games to honor the new (1 Viewer)

I traded in some X-Box games at the local game exchange and decided to pick up an old N64 for the fun of it. I had never played through the two Zelda games that were available for that platform, so I thought it might be good to play through before I buy Wind Walker for Game Cube.

Along with Nintendo sentimentality, I keep around a Sega Dreamcast, which allows for quick access to both Dreamcast and NES 8-bit titles.

I was just curious if the hardcore out there could post some of their favorite titles for their 2nd tier systems. IE N64 and Sega Dreamcast, but welcome any others. With most of our attention towards the next GTA or Halo 2, I bet there are some oldy(granted, only about 3 years now?) but goodies that will pop up at the game exchange that I'd like to pick up - like Zelda, Ocarina of Time.

This is especially true, perhaps, of these machines that lost to Sony in the long-run. They didn't have time to become classics (like Final Fantasy VII or the original Spy Hunter)

What do you all think?

Peace,
Nate

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
There are a lot of good games for N64 and DC. Here are a few of my favorites

N64
Golden Eye
Perfect Dark
WWF No Mercy

DC
Soul Calibur
Shen-Mue
Power Stone 1 and 2
Skies of Arcadia

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I keep around a Sega Saturn for a few choice games, especially fighting games. I have Street Fighter collection for Saturn, which is far superior to the PS1 version. I would also have a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 for Saturn if they weren't so pricey (the reasons I bought the Saturn in the first place). I also have a NES, Genesis (I would get rid of it if the fiancee would let me, I really only have a few games for it). SNES, Dreamcast. Sold the Atari 7800 due to lack of controllers and I needed the cash, sold the N64 since I could never get around to buying Zelda, and my friend still kicks my ass at Goldeneye, despite a 3 yr hiatus of playing it.
I would say my Saturn and SNES see the most use besides the modern (GC and PS2) systems. And, I think I still use the PS2 for PS1 games about 30-40% of the time.

I guess I have to laugh at my willingness to play some of these games, since I can play "flash" animation games online that have similar gameplay and graphics.

It is funny how there are the old classics, and the latest next gen stuff, but anything in the middle gets stuck in a shoebox or thrown out by a signifigant other....

Peace,
Nate

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I suggest Rayman 2 on the Dreamcast, it's probably the best platformer ever.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just got an SNES the other day for $9 at a thrift store, so I have begun collecting titles for that... so far I have...
F-ZERO (first "3D" racer that really awed me)
Super Mario All-Stars (4 games in one!)
Super Mario RPG (my favorite RPG of all time)
Super Metroid (best...2D platformer...ever)
Zelda: A Link to the Past ('nuf said)

And I also picked up a Playstation w/ FFVII for $30 at GameStop.com the other day... so far I have...
Final Fantasy VII (duh!)
Final Fantasy Tactics (reminds me of Super Mario RPG)
GTA (classic)
GTA2 (bested the classic IMHO)
The Italian Job (GTA meets Driver ;) )

I also have a TON of N64 and Genesis/SEGA CD games sitting in my room in my parent's house. I LOVE classic gaming (it's cheaper [for the most part] too) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks