Reviews wanted, Best A/V Receiver for <$1000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joseph Andrew, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Joseph Andrew

Joseph Andrew Auditioning

Okay all,
    Give me your Option, views, reviews, Pro's and Con's.

What is the best A/V Receiver out there for =/< $1000?

Here your chnage, tell others what you like the best and why...

2. Joseph Andrew

Joseph Andrew Auditioning

Okay all,
    Give me your Option, views, reviews, Pro's and Con's.

What is the best A/V Receiver out there for =/< $1000?

Here your chnage, tell others what you like the best and why...

3. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I don't know what the "best" is, but I have a Yamaha HTR-5790 and I love it. The YPAO is an excellent feature, component up-conversion for S-video and composite, OSD, Dolby PLIIx, 7.1 capable, pre-outs for all channels and a 12v trigger for external amp all for about $500 street price. For my needs and my money, I couldn't pass it up. The only con that I could come up with in comparison to other similarly priced units was lack of 3 component inputs like the Denon's.

4. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I don't know what the "best" is, but I have a Yamaha HTR-5790 and I love it. The YPAO is an excellent feature, component up-conversion for S-video and composite, OSD, Dolby PLIIx, 7.1 capable, pre-outs for all channels and a 12v trigger for external amp all for about $500 street price. For my needs and my money, I couldn't pass it up. The only con that I could come up with in comparison to other similarly priced units was lack of 3 component inputs like the Denon's.

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Best is subjective. It depends what you're looking for, and what speakers you're looking to drive. One man's holy grail is another man's toilet.

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Best is subjective. It depends what you're looking for, and what speakers you're looking to drive. One man's holy grail is another man's toilet.

7. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

There is only the best to YOU.

8. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

There is only the best to YOU.

9. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul

While I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment, I think I would add that features are an important set of criteria to consider. Cambridge Audio, Arcam and NAD are usually feature stingy, but have a solid rep for amplification and good analogue stages. Yamaha and Denon tend to have the most features and DSPs. Sony, Kenwood and Pioneer have upscale lines that are well regarded. Harman Kardon and Integra offer flexible digital bass management/time alignment on multichannel inputs. There are other brands to consider as well.

These are but a few of the things to keep in mind when shopping. Once you have an idea of the kinds of features you want, then you can do some comparisons. Ease of use, aesthetics, warranty, reliability; each has a role to play.

In this category, it is difficult to go wrong with regards to quality.

Happy hunting.

10. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul

While I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment, I think I would add that features are an important set of criteria to consider. Cambridge Audio, Arcam and NAD are usually feature stingy, but have a solid rep for amplification and good analogue stages. Yamaha and Denon tend to have the most features and DSPs. Sony, Kenwood and Pioneer have upscale lines that are well regarded. Harman Kardon and Integra offer flexible digital bass management/time alignment on multichannel inputs. There are other brands to consider as well.

These are but a few of the things to keep in mind when shopping. Once you have an idea of the kinds of features you want, then you can do some comparisons. Ease of use, aesthetics, warranty, reliability; each has a role to play.

In this category, it is difficult to go wrong with regards to quality.

Happy hunting.