What's new

Reviews on new "Ran"? (1 Viewer)

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Has the newer Ran DVD been re-released individually, or is it still available only as part of the (expensive!) set?

Nevermind - found the answer:

The WellSpring MasterWorks edition in the Kurosawa Boxset ( also set for individual release in April - 03 ) is anamorphic with two well-done commentaries / option for 5.1 and original soundtracks and a much tighter image.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
A quick review of the commentaries:

Prince's is pretty good, he gets repetitive sometimes but at least there's not much dead air. Covers a lot of different aspects of the film. If you liked his commentary on Red Beard, you'll like this one.

Grilli's is kinda useless, lots of dead air, and the rest is mostly unenlightening personal anecdotes or occasional appreciation for what's happening on screen. This one should have been done as an interview or something.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The first "gline" review linked above is pretty consistent with my views on the video. It is a definite improvement over its predecessor, but it is still filled with annoying artifacts that are evident to even casual viewers. It's a step in the right direction, but it has not traveled as far as it needs to go. :frowning: I did not think the 5.1 mix sounded hollow or muddy. It seemed OK to me. The mono is 2.0 mono instead of 1.0 as indicated on the packaging.

Anyway, the film is too good to not want to own its best representation on video, so despite my complaints, I don't regret my purchase.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks