What's new

Reviews of "Gojira" (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Any indication when reviews should start appearing on the Sony Disk? I'm stokes since I've never seen the original.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I keep seeing this as being released by CLASSIC MEDIA...
Even though I recall seeing a "SONY WONDER" logo somewhere

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Ditto. I'm eagerly awaiting this. I would've been content with just having the original uncut version but Both versions + audio commentary + bonus features = SOLD. Outstanding presentation. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I've had this on peoorder since god knows when and I'm not about to cancel it because of a few sub-par reviews about the video quality. September 5th can't come fast enough.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
From the tohokingdom.com review:
"Unfortunately, the aspect ratio is a little messed up on the Classic Media release. The movie itself seems to have had the very top of the image cut off, for whatever reason."

I've heard mention of this elsewhere, too. Not a dealbreaker for me, but still kinda' a bummer. Word is, on the upcoming release of Mothra vs. Godzilla from Classic Media, the dubbed American version (Godzilla vs. The Thing) is gonna' be presented in 1.77:1 (HD aspect ratio) instead of the full OAR of 2.35:1 Tohoscope. That just might be a dealbreaker for me, alas...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I dunno-after reading the above-and below-the R2 BFI version may have just broke the deal for me, even without the 1956 version.
A healthy £14.99 from Amazon, Caiman (USA!) have it for £8.00. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...?condition=all

BFI (British Film Institute) GODZILLA:
# Actors: Akira Takarada, Momoko Kochi, Akihiko Hirata
# Format: Black & White, PAL
# Language Japanese
# Region: Region 2 (This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)
# Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
# Number of discs: 1
# Classification: PG
# Studio: Bfi Video Publishing
# DVD Release Date: 13 Feb 2006
# Run Time: 96 minutes
# Average Customer Review: ****/* based on 3 reviews. (Write a review.)
# DVD Features:

* Main Language: Japanese
* Sub Titles: English
* Voiceover Commentary By Three American Godzilla Experts
* 12 Japanese Fishermen Documentary
* The Making Of The Godzilla Suit Featurette
* The Adaptation From Original Short Story To Finished Film Featurette
* Original Trailer
* Original Poster
* Stills Gallery
* 16 page Booklet
---
from DVDBeaver:
Excellent release from BFI... one of their best yet. The packaging starts with a beautifully appointed book-style case (same as the special case for the Carlton edition of The Red Shoes). The image quality is far better than I anticipated. Minor scratches and damage throughout but an exceptionally sharp and clear image with very good, if occasionally flickering, contrast. This is a progressive transfer in the correct aspect ratio with excellent removable subtitles. I did notice an occasional gap in the translation, but it was usually for short, brief exclamations or comments. Audio is very strong and consistent.

The commentary is fabulous from discussing the 'dreaded American version with insert scenes of Raymond Burr' to the youthful 43-year old director Honda who had less experience than some of his cast. It is very thorough and complete - these guys really know their Godzilla trivia. The other extras are very relevant and the included booklet is a real keepsake with color photos, cast and crew bios and a short essay by Ian Buruma. Overall, I know many are glad that this prolific-spawning pioneer film is available on DVD in such a dynamic and complete package. Bravo BFI!
---
From DVDTimes:
A fine release with which to kick off the year, the BFI’s handling of Godzilla is superb in all departments. Only the uncommonly static menus disappoint as otherwise we are treated to a fine presentation and a series of exclusive extras, making this the *definitive* Godzilla.

Retaining the original Academy ratio and indeed the original Japanese cut of the film, the print is in generally fine condition. Certainly, the stock footage doesn’t look to be of the best quality, nor indeed some of the SFX shots, but then these are flaws inherent in the film’s production, not the disc’s manufacture. Indeed, technically speaking the disc does an excellent job: the clarity and detail are generally fine; the contrast levels waver a little but for the most part are similarly fine; and there are no major flaws to speak of, plus we’re getting a progressive transfer. Perhaps even better is the soundtrack. Present in its original Japanese mono (as Dolby Digital 2.0) with optional English subtitles, this comes across superbly. There are reel-change crackles to be heard on occasion, but background hiss is at a minimum and, most importantly, the roar sounds terrific.

Of the extras, the main attraction is the commentary by a trio of Godzilla experts. In the recording booth we find Steve Ryfle, author of Japan’s Ultimate Mon-Star, Ed Godziszewski, author of The Illustrated Godzilla Encyclopaedia, and Keith Aiken who served as animator on Sony’s recent animated series of Godzilla. Serving as a kind of commentating tag team, each takes turns to divulge their fascinating snippets of background information and trivia. Admittedly, there’s much more of this than there is any kind of analysis, but when their chat covers everything from how Ifukube made the roar to the differences in the Raymond Burr-starring US re-edit, there really is little room to complain.

Elsewhere Godziszewski contributes a pair of featurettes which allow him to give more concentrated bursts of discussion than the commentary had room for. As the titles suggest ‘Designing Godzilla’ touches on the rubber suit and the like, whilst ‘Story Evolution’ concentrates more heavily on the script and its influences. We also find another short piece on the disc, perhaps my personal favourite of the various features. Entitled ‘The Japanese Fishermen’, it’s a 1954 documentary short telling of the real-life effects America’s nuclear tests had on Japan: from the acid rain to the fishermen who caught leukaemia. Though a Japanese-made piece, it here comes with a British voice-over, not that it loses any of its potency. Indeed, its direct relevance to Godzilla itself only serves to heighten the main feature’s effects.

Rounding off the package we also find a pair of trailers (one for the Japanese version, another for the US edit) and a trio of galleries devoted to, respectively, posters (though a commemorative matchbox, a comic book and a pop-up book also figure), storyboards, and sketches and stills. Meanwhile, the packaging itself – which is of the deluxe variety, similar in style to the BFI’s earlier release of La Belle et la bête - also contains a lovingly produced 16-page booklet full of new liner notes, brief bios for the major players, full credits and plenty of stills and poster designs.

---and finally, the last paragraph of TOHO KINGDOM:

"Is this the definitive DVD version of the movie as hoped for? Sadly, I'd say no. That title probably belongs to the BFI region 2 release."

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
The small area of black at the top of the frame really isn't that big a deal; the amount missing is really no greater that what see being shown at different theaters with different aperature plates... I doubt that the area of the frame in question was even visible in the viewfinders on the cameras used to shoot the film.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

A definite dealbreaker for me. :thumbsdown: I'll stick with the copy I currently have then.

Is it just the American version or are they planning to butcher the framing on both? If this is true, what a bunch of effing idiots.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Supposedly just the American G vs. The Thing. I think I heard they couldn't find a complete print except for the transfer made for the MONSTERS HD cable channel (which was formatted for HD, natch), so they went with that.

More important to me is that they get the English version of G vs. Monster Zero right. I've got the Japanese, R2 discs of both it and Mothra vs. Godzilla, and while I prefer the original Japanese version of Mothra, Monster Zero ain't the same without Nick Adams' wild and wooly performance in it's original English.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Wow - that sucks. I guess it would be smart to hold onto the old Simitar releases of these films as well until we know what's coming from CM, even though the Simitar releases were not the best in quality and non-anamorphic. At least the Simitar "GvM" was 2.35:1. Still, it looks like these new CM releases will be worthy purchases, although not always definitive.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Just out of curiosity, what would the purpose be of masking the top edge of an academy-ratio image? I'm still interested in this release, but that's a weird anomaly...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks