What's new

Review your favorite Movie Theater (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm from Phoenix where Harkins started. They are my favorite chain. The original Cine Capri was where I saw Star Wars in 1977 when I was 11. It didn't become a Harkins theater until sometime in the late 1980s.

It was a single theater built in 1966. It had a 65 foot screen curved for Cinerama and covered with gold curtains. I actually have a swatch of the original fabric from those curtains. It could handle 35mm and 70mm prints with 6 track sound. Star Wars played there for over a year. I also got to see Lawrence of Arabia there in 70mm. That was truly spectacular. I also saw the restored Casablanca there in the early 90s. Sadly it was torn down to make way for an office building in 1998

We now have 2 of the new Cine Capri theaters here in the Phoenix area and while they are spectacular, I miss the original.

Doug

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Geoff
The Cine-Capri sounds like an excellent theatre. I wish Harkins would build some theatres in the San Francisco area. I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in Denver. (Not counting Imax.)

This is fantastic. Their website makes it seem like they use a lot of on-screen ads. Do they only show ads in their non-Cine-Capri auditoriums?

One other thing you forgot to mention is that they do a fantastic job of advertising which films are in the large auditorium. At many other theatre chains moviegoers must play "Auditorium Roulette" when they pick their showtimes. Maybe you'll get a large screen... maybe you'll get a pillbox.

Jonesy
Movie Theatre Reviews

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
The Vista in Los Feliz.
cinematreasures.org/theater/32

It's been around since before your mother was born and it looks it; if your mother had extensive plastic surgery. Not like it looks as if it's been added to and grossly exaggerated. It looks like the grand theater, ok maybe not so grand, but it's a charming single screen movie theater that screens first run big movies. And in the marquee below the films logo the director is always listed. As if you needed to know who directed Phantom Menace or Kill Bill.

Speaking of which, I've seen a bunch of movies at the Vista, 2 Star Wars prequels included(I was in Amsterdam for Episode 3- drats! ;) and a few Quentin Tarantino movies.

Let me just say this: The Vista WAS the DEFINITIVE place to watch the Rodriguez/Tarantino/mish-mash directors efforts that collectively came together to form Grindhouse. Actually any Tarantino movie should be seen at the Vista because of the retro/rock vibe of the neighborhood.

Sure you could have caught it up the street on the dome at the Arclight.

But does a movie(s) like Grindhouse deserve that grand, hi-tech treatment?
Hell no.

Grindhouse was best viewed at The Vista because of the age of the theater and the aged, ragged attempted nature of the Grindhouse experience.

You didn't need 3-D glasses because the Vista provided the added dimension.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The Arclight Hollywood: Hollywood,CA

All-reserved seating is a plus as is the extra attention to the movie exsperience. This theater has nicer seats, top grade sound system and top quality projectors. This theater also plays older films and foreign films, they also have question and answer screening with directors. While it is a little pricy at $11.00 to $14.00, IMHO its worth it. I know that they actually have someone that monitors the Cinerama dome room and comes in to check on the sound and picture to make sure everything is just right. I would imagine that all rooms are monitored for quality so that there customers are getting the best movie exsperience available.

Located: 6360 W. Sunset Blvd (between Vine and Ivar, with DeLongpre to the south) Los Angeles, CA

Graumann's Chinese: Hollywood, CA

In the heart of Hollywood this is a great place to see a movie. Both the picture and sound are top notch and some of the best I have heard and seen. The theater is on the walk of fame and usually has people dressed up as movie characters all around the outside of the theater. The theater is classy and is comfterable. The room is huge and has alot of seats and has alot of detail to take in. This theater is also a little pricey at $11.00 to $14.00 but well worth it.

El Capitan: Hollywood, CA

While its is a small theater it has a great picture and very good sound. To my knowledge Disney paid for this old schoold theater to be refurbished and brought back to its full glory. I saw Pirates Of The Caribean 3 there and was very impressed. They even have a organist that plays music before the movie. This theater is pricy just like the Archlight and the Graumann's but well worth it. It is actually right across the street from the Graumann's and the only drawback if you want to call it one is it has only one room. This theater also has a Disney store attached and basically only shows Disney films there as far as I know. This theater started as a stage theater back in 1926 so it has been around for awhile.

A little over 2 1/2 years ago I moved to Phoenix, AZ and am still looking for a great theater like the above mentioned ones. I have to also give thumbs up to the Edwards Theater located in the Ontario Mills Shopping Center (Ontario, CA). For a chain theater it is very nice in appearance and it has good quality picture and sound. The Chinese room I think it is called which is the biggest non Imax room in the multiplex. Is basically just a little smaller than the Imax room and the screen is almost as big with aprox. 1200 seats. I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan at this theater and it blew me away. Because of the size of the room the surround speakers are dual 15" woofers with a compression horn. And this room can get loud on action movies and it has what it takes to reproduce the audio without distortion.

I however have to say that the nicest theater I have found here in Phoenix has to be hands down the Harkins Theater. IMHO a big improvement over your standard AMC chain theater.

conedude13

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
The best one around me is the Lowes AMC in Cherry Hill NJ. It has the most screens, and thus the most times one film can play. Stadium seating, reclining seats and dolby surround sound.

The worst part about it is that anything that isn't a matinee now costs $10 per ticket! The AMC Marlton 8 on Rt. 73 in Marlton NJ used to be my fave with it's $5.50 per ticket student pricing (probably more now though so don't quote me on that price), but not enough screens.

So two thumbs up for the Lowes AMC in cherry hill nj for best quality and times; two thumbs down for cost of everything. :P

PhilipW

Second Unit
Warren Theater in Moore, OK

Grand Opening tonight. Hopefully I'll be going soon.

14 theaters witha all screens with waterfall curtains
14 THX rated sound systems
14 Digital projections
3 3D screens
2 theaters with "crying rooms"
No on screen advertising.
2 theaters with 21 & over balcony seating with waiter service for dinner and full bar.

http://www.warrentheatres.com/Moore.pdf

And it's only 1 mile from my house.

Flicker

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Young
It's been ages since I have seen a movie in a theatre - I am now a DVD nut!, however Alabama has two that certainly recommend mentioning.
The "Alabama" in downtown Birmingham (AL), got the name "Showplace Of The South". Once recommended for the wrecking ball, a group of citizens and civic leaders got together and raised money for restoration and needed repaid. Today it shows occasional movies and is used for performing arts and concerts.

The other is in Tuscaloosa and is the "Bama". The interior walls are designed as a Spanish structure and wrought iron balconies, faux doors and plants. The ceiling has "twinking" stars and a projected cloud effect that is truly remarkable.

I'll try and do some research as to construction and completion dates and other interesting info.

ilovemymac

Auditioning
Real Name
laura stucky
This is my review of the Warren theater in Wichita, ks and moore, OK.

This is the most expensive movie theatre built in the history of the state.
The cost of the theater was more then 30 million dollars.
It’s double the cost of any other theatre ever built in Kansas, period.
The warren theater put a tremendous amount of quality and effort into this theatre, good diner food, homemade shakes and so forth.
When you walk into the Warren Theatre, you’re going to see a lobby that’s three stories tall and hallways with over a million dollars of imported marble, terrazzo floors and gold leafing and custom murals and all those type of things. And upstairs in the VIP balcony area, which is for 21 and over, they do food service from the seat and also have liquor service. There are built-in tables and the seats are very wide.
They only theatre in the nation to put draperies up on all
screens. The draperies don’t even open from side to
side. They go with what’s called waterfall. There are only a couple people
in the nation that can even build those. The signage bill for the signs and
hidden neon throughout the building was over a million dollars.

The thing i like is that the quality is throughout. You dont walk in the lobby and it looks fancy and then walk into the bathroom and it looks like they threw it together in 5 minutes.

You won’t see any advertising on the screen. You won’t see slides or anything. Mr warren has been quoted as saying "If I’m going to pay my good money to see a movie, I don’t want to see advertising on the screen. I can watch that on TV." This is the best part. I get so tired of going to a movie and seeing 15 minutes of advertising before the show.

They originally started out with 20 screens with basically the same size footprint, 150 thousand square foot building. But then they made the decision at the last minute to switch it to 14 screens, and the reason that they did…was they only had 1 big auditorium and Mr warren decided they needed two big auditoriums. They decided they
wanted the smallest auditoriums to be bigger. they literally got rid of one auditorium just by the fact of the size of the seats by put in extra wide seats in all of the theatres.
This 14-plex is bigger than a 25-plex that a normal theatre company would build. There’s a million dollars in granite and another million in neon lighting, there’s terrazzo flooring and marble counter tops and waterfall curtains. They are the only all THX theater in the world. Well besides the other 2 that he owns.

The theater is fantastic. I love the background music playing when you walk in then the lights dim the curtain rises and the show begins. The main screen is more then 5 stories tall and 80 feet wide. Having a true balcony is great. I havent seen a TRUE balcony in a theater since i saw star trek III search for spock at the fox theater in hutchinson, ks. There are a couple dickinson in kansas city that call what they have a balcony but its not. Its just the theater is divided the front part is like any other non stadium theater and then you go up some stairs to the rest of the theater and they call it a balcony but its not.

The warren at Moore, ok and the 13th ave warren in wichita, ks are now all digital cinema THX.

When watching a movie at the warren even before it went digital was much better then any other theater i have been too. No dickinson or AMC i have been to or carmike could compare to the Warren. No concrete walls like at most theaters or concrete floors.

The Warren Theater makes the most of the movie going experience. Going all out with the decor, the Warren aims to give you the experience of going to the movies in the 1930's and 1940's with an art deco scheme, its very own malt shop (west location) or diner (east loaction), and uniformed staff with brass buttons. Not to be out done, the restrooms at the new east location has a waiting lounge complete with couches and a real fire in the fireplace, while the restrooms have a vanity area and at least 30-40 toilets.

Of course the technology is 21st century with THX Digital surround sound and some theatres with stadium seating and curved screens. In all of the theaters the seats are red plush with high backs that lean back. This makes both for comfortable movie watching and avoids the scenario of having to lean left or right to see around the tall person in front of you. There is also so much leg room between rows that you don't have to squish in order for people to get up and out of the rows. Everything is run very professionally. The curtains are drawn up from in front of the enormous screens before the show begins and the only ads are movie previews (no made-for-movie-screen commericals that have taken most movie chains by storm).

In short if you are ever in Wichita, ks or Moore, OK stop in see the warren you will not be dissapointed.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I believe all of the new Cine Capri auditoriums have 75 foot curved screens. I know the two theaters here in the Phoenix area seat different numbers, but I don't know what the actual dimensions of the theaters are. One of them seats 620 I believe and the other is about 750.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am trying to veryify how many seats are at the Edwards Theater in Ontario, California. But for some reason I keep thinking it is 1200, and I could be totally wrong on that. There largest room is about the same size as there IMAX room and the screen is a hair smaller. I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan in that room and I beleive the surrounds in that room are dual 15" woofers and a HF Horn (JBL).

cicadess

Auditioning
Real Name
LIU
World of Warcraft Horde Leveling Guide-Welcome the Wow gold War Club
Horde Leveling Guide | WoW Leveling Guide
Tips on finding a good WOW Horde Leveling Guide Horde Leveling Guide Joanas. WoW Gold Guide Warcraft buy wow gold Riches Warcraft Gold

Secrets

World of Warcraft Leveling Guide | The Litch King
World of Warcraft Leveling Guide You want to get to Level 60 or 70 fast? Then you need a great WoW Leveling

Warcraft Druid Leveling Guide | WoW Guide
You should use our archive to easily find the type of guide you looking for!
WOW Power Leveling

Alliance Leveling guide | Warcraft Underground.com | wow gold & More!
Our Mission. To provide only the best inWOW Gold World of Warcraft Secrets, tips, exploits, videos, and more!

wow Fishing guide
This is a World of Warcraft Fishing guide. If you are looking for ways to make gold please see this Gold Guide. If you are looking for a World of Warcraft leveling guide from 1

World of Warcraft Leveling Guide - horde - WoW - Warcraft Scrolls
WoW horde Leveling wow powerleveling Guide. Achieve level 70 in record time. Over 250 pages of detailed quest instructions

and maps!

World of Warcraft Leveling Guide You want to get to Level 60 or 70 fast? Then you need a great WoW Leveling
Our Mission. To provide only the best inWOW Gold World of Warcraft Secrets, tips, exploits, videos, and more!
Derek's Alliance and Horde Leveling Guide for World of Warcraft
Derek's Alliance and Horde leveling guide for World of Warcraft on GuruAgent. WOW online role-playing game is actually a massively multiplayer online game that allows for

cicadess

Auditioning
Real Name
LIU
Horde Leveling Guide | WoW Leveling Guide
Tips on finding a good WOW Horde Leveling Guide Horde Leveling Guide Joanas. WoW Gold Guide Warcraft buy wow gold Riches Warcraft Gold

Secrets

Warcraft Druid Leveling Guide | WoW Guide
You should use our archive to easily find the type of guide you looking for!
WOW Power Leveling

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan
Regal Cinemas Valley River Center 15, Eugene Oregon- Definetly the best theater i've ever been to. The decor amazes me every time I go to the theater. The cinema has two theaters that will seat 424 people, about 7 theaters that seat 228 people and the rest seat ruffly 132 people. The Cinema has one DLP theater and the rest use film. Regal 15 also has Kilpch surrond sound in each theater. All theaters have behind the screen sub woofers to complete this incredible cinema.
Final grade: A-

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Geoff
Re the Cine Capri in Denver:

I saw Quantum of Solace there last year. It IS a large screen and they put on a good show. I gave them a B+ on my blog. (You gotta show an occasional classic to get an A.)
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

But as for the exact size of the screen, the managers refused to provide any information... almost as if they had something to hide. They were very squirrely about it.

To my eye, the Cine Capri screen, while impressive, was not as big as the giant 78' wide screen at the Continental (on the south side of Denver).

A little intertoob research turned up this press release, which claims their screen is 70' x 30' (more than 10% smaller than the Continental).

However, Harkin's newspaper ad proclaims daily: "Colorado's Largest Screen."

Not a big deal, and Colorado is lucky to have two screens of that size. But kinda amusing, I thought.

nefam4

Auditioning
Real Name
Lisa Mcbee
Everyone should check out the Roseway Theater in Portland. We are lucky to live in the neighborhood...it was recently restored and the picture and sound is amazing! Apparenty new owner has a backgroung with hollywood technology and you can tell. We use to travel to Cinetopia but not anymore. Roseway is only $6 and we thought sound and picture quality were better.

Roseway Theater :: Portland, OR :: movie times, show times, first run, films, entertainment, theater, cinema, historic, northeast, digital

They are running a loud show of the watchmen this weekend at 10:30! So there
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

harrycosy

Auditioning
Real Name
harry
my favorite movie theater is pvr because well sheet ,full ac,big screen and good dolby sound so....i like see any movies in pvr........

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I just found my new favorite theatre. it opened in folsom, ca yesterday. it has 16 screens and all digital. it can play 6 movies in 3D. I first heard about the company back in 2007 when the petaluma theatre played blade runner the final cut. I have been to the others theatre since then. now its only a 45 minutes drive and not 2 hours. please tell your friends and family about it. we just got the best theatre in the sacramento area in a long time. the link for the theatre is below.

enjoy.

Jacob

http://www.cinemawest.com/pal.html

priya12

Auditioning
Real Name
priya
This annoying teenager issue another problem with the AMC Burbank 16 in Burbank. The Theaters themselves have been renovated a few years ago so they are very nice. But again, this is also a theater that attracts a huge teenage crowd so I only really go here when other theaters arent available. For example, if other theaters arent showing a certain movie or are sold out.

Watch Er Online

nickim0099

Auditioning
Real Name
Nichole McIntyre
[SIZE= 14px]Hello!![/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]iPic Movie Theater[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]16451 NE 74th St[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Redmond, Wa 98052[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]425-636-5601[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]My favorite movie theater is IPic Movie theater in Redmond Washington. This movie theater is not a typical movie theater. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]IPic Theaters offers an easy way to have dinner and a movie, without the hassle of coordinating dinner and movie times. This unique movie theater is the ultimate movie experience, complete with great food, comfy seats and delicious drinks. Instead of trying to perfectly coordinate dinner, with plenty of time to drive from dinner to the theater and include time to get a parking space, and stand in line, just do it all in one place. I personally, find this to be easy and convenient. But I enjoy most about this theater is that is 21+. Not that I am anti-family, by any means, and I do understand that a non-family friendly establishment is not favored by all. I am definitely one who enjoys the night life, and I enjoy a cocktail or two. Being able to see a movie and not have it crowded with young teenagers increases the value for me. I love the drinks, and the option to have food brought to you in the theater while you’re watching the film.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Now I know that this sounds like a fancy and perhaps expensive movie theater. I thought the same thing, the only reason I tried it was because I received a free movie pass (you can too if you sign up online!). To my surprise, the employees were friendly, the bartenders were sociable, and the food and drinks were delicious. The whole theater is clean and decorated very modern, I felt like I was in Vegas. I enjoyed the whole experience. And the cost is equivalent to purchasing dinner at a restaurant and a ticket at a theater. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]just in case you want to check out this theater and its many locations visit the website: www.ipictheaters.com[/SIZE]

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
For me there are only a couple theaters I will go to because most are just wore down around here. Although there are a few new ones I haven't been to yet. Here are my favorite two:

Cinerama

2100 4TH Avenue
Seattle, WA
(206) 448-6680

LANDMARK THEATER

Seattle Cinerama Theatre, built in 1963, is owned by philanthropist and investor Paul G. Allen, who saved it from demolition in 1988. Vulcan Inc. directed a spectacular restoration of the theater’s early 1960s interiors and brought back the massive, curved screen used for special presentations of Cinerama and 70mm wide-screen movies. Seattle Cinerama is one of only three theaters in the world that can show original three-strip Cinerama films. The Cinerama just re-opened with a fresh restoration and technical upgrade, ensuring its movie-theater supremacy.

http://seattlecinerama.com/the-experience/technical/

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana}

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 20.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana}

Lincoln Square Cinemas

700 Bellevue Way NE

Bellevue, Washington 98004

http://www.lincolnsquarecinemas.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks