Review: The Longest Yard

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris, May 26, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

There are some movies that maybe just need left alone. I love the original "Longest Yard" and I was prepared for a waterboy-type take on it in this Adam Sandler flick.

Having said that, if this movie were as funny as "Waterboy" (which had some good cheap laughs), it would be far better off.

The performances in the film are about to be expected; having coming off of a few good/decent dramatic turns, Adam Sandler turns in a rather "blah" performance with a lot of dry asides and slouching line deliveries. Chris Rock has a few good lines, but eventually both he and his companion become running punchlines with one line gags.

Dealing heavily in stereotypes and cheap jokes about race/behavior, the movie quickly starts to fall into the big gag of just throwing out profanity/wierd situations that just seem to call out "please laugh" (When you see the cheerleader bit, you'll know what I'm talking about).

This isn't saying that the film doesn't have laughs.. it does. And it has a few good laughs in it.

This movie is one that compares badly to other Adam Sandler-sports type flicks (Waterboy, Happy Gilmore). In that instead of being "goofy" with a some big laughs here and there, this film doesn't seem to get on the tracks and have either the goofy quality or consistent laughs. When Jim Rome came up on the screen, I started looking at my watch.

Maybe this will be a success. But my instinct says maybe not.. still, because there are a few good laughs, I'll give it 2/5.

[​IMG] [​IMG] / [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    I really like the original, and for it's time, Reynolds setup for going to jail was fine (getting hammered and stealing the car). That all said, I wish they had moved away from the drunk driving angle and found some other way to get him to jail -- they could have just as easily had him steal the girlfriends car, drive it to a bar, get hammered and get into a bar fight after somebody calls him a washout -- boom, he goes to court, but does something stupid and is sentenced to a longer stay.

Maybe I'm just more sensitive about that stuff now that I have a kid, but there's just nothing funny about drunk driving to me.

Doug

3. Abby_B

Abby_B Supporting Actor

I don't know if I'll end up seeing this in a theater...it doesn't appeal nearly as much as Sandler's other recent movies. I began to like him in his more dramatic turns like Spanglish and don't think I want to watch him try to be goofy again, especially if the movie doesn't look like its of the level of Billy Madison or Happy Gilmore.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

As a child-less person, I can garantee that the drunk driving gag was hilarious simply because it's such a taboo topic now. Not that that in any way means that I think people should be inpired by the trailer/film to do the same.

5. Jace_A

Jace_A Second Unit

I wonder how many other classic films Sandler can trash. Mr Deeds, The Longest Yard... How about "It's a Wonderful Life" or even "Casablanca" next.

6. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    You know, I could see Sandler doing a really bad Stewart impression -- "Well, gee, Mr. Potter."

Doug

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yeah, saw the article.. it's basically dead on.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Hey, if you're Star War'd out, this movie will provide some comic relief with a wide array of characters that have fun with the material, though the plot was pretty sketchy at best.

If you've seen the trailers, you pretty much know what kind of movie you're going to get, and for the most part, there are enough laughs to warrant at least a matinee viewing along with a crowd (because comedies are funner to me with a crowd that's not afraid to laugh).

I give it a 2.75 stars, or a B-.

10. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Ebert's rather fascinating review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...VIEWS/50510003

He gave it a lukewarm thumbs up three weeks when taping the show but now seems like he can't even remember why he liked it at all. He gives it three stars in his written review only to have consistency with the show.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Ebert reminds me much of my sole surviving grandparent as of late: old enough, and in the business long enough, to say whatever the hell he damn well pleases. And that's for good and bad.

12. Adam Lenhardt

I saw Adam Sandler's remake of The Longest Yard tonight at the drive-in in the rain. One might think that the adverse viewing conditions would negatively affect my opinion of the film. While that may be true with good films, the fact that the night was an interesting and satisfying experience was the only thing that allowed me walk away content; in a movie theater it would have been a much harsher reaction.
    I suppose my biggest problem with the film is how unfocussed it is. It makes a half-hearted stab at comedy, with decent jokes that only pop along every ten minutes or so. It makes a half-hearted stab at drama with some pretty daring events for an Adam Sandler film that are never exploited or utilized for the benefit of the film. They happen and the film rolls forward without feeling any repercussions to speak of. The villains are never threatening, the heroes never rise up to a point of real sympathy, and the character motivations never feel all that plausible. I'm sitting in my car and the movies playing out on the screen, and we're not really bothering each other all that much. It's not that it pushes out into reality like a Wes Anderson film does, it's that it never really makes any effort to draw you in. If this film were personified, it would be Shaun's fat best buddy in Shaun of the Dead. It's in no rush to do anything, and it's likeable enough that we don't so much mind when nothing serious ends up getting done.
    It rises about movies like About Schmidt and Napoleon Dynamite in that it doesn't piss me off any. But that's probably because unlike those two, it never sets off to do anything all that intrusive in the first place. And having caught a whiff of a good movie in there somewhere, it has me inclined to see out the original. In that way, it has perhaps succeeded in something.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] /[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    35mm
    05/29/2005

It's entertaining. It's dumb. It's silly. It'd make a great addition to a film studies class on the auteurship of Adam Sandler. [​IMG] [​IMG] You can do it! And if you're the sort of person who would be horrified/annoyed/infuriated at the audience participating (like shouting out "Stone Cold" or "Nash" when they first hit the screen) then this film probably isn't anything you'd like.

The longest Yard is a surprisingly good film that hits all the comedy beats right and has about six different styles, the director, at least two ADs, the Editor and at least two assistent editors. But hell, there's at least six different styles of comedy/acting going one with the different personas playing out in the film. It's every bit as over the top and ridiculous as you could expect (and hope for) from Adam Sandler. If you like his movies, you'll probably like this film. comedy is hella subjective and Sandler is my favorite working comedien, so I have no qualms giving this four stars (one of the year's best).

14. Johnny S

Johnny S Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the review... i didnt expect much from this movie

15. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I finally got a night out with just my wife (no kids) for the first time in about a year and we decided to go see a movie. Madagascar and Star Wars had already finished so we defaulted to The Longest Yard as it was the only thing left. I like Adam Sandler, Chris Rock and Burt Reynolds of course and thought that this movie would offer some sort of entertainment, I was very wrong.
    This movie was awful to say the least. There were only a few laughs through out the enitre movie and the other jokes might have been funny if they hadnt already been used in countless other movies before this. Jokes we have heard before like "Run forest run!" to "You got knocked the F*%ck out" and the many others stemming from other films just seemed forced, and obvious that the wirters were not that good. This is a cookie cutter action/comedy that just slapped the tag of the classic movie on its title. You have of course the whole line of misfit footabll playin convicts that you might expect from any Bruckheimer movie. I couldnt get passed the recruiting of all of these stupid, stereotyped, formulaic characters in the beginning
    of the movie. All of these characters were dumber than the next and all so special in there own little way of course. The gay cheerleaders were unbelievably stupid with tired jokes as well. And to top it off we get the real hard ass tough guy gaurd who at the end of the movie realizes his wrong doings and understands the sacrifices made by the convict team and the Sanlder character and gives him the respect due. The movie moment was so bad that I was just waiting for him to say " You could be my wing man anyday." and it would have been the cheesiest line/moment in a movie ever. I cant believe that the producers and director of this movie would think that we the movie going public is so damned stupid that we cant watch and understand a movie with a real plot or story. We need to be spoon fed stupid lines, bad character set ups, steroetyped inmates and motivating music placed so awfully in the movie that Jerry Bruckheimer himself is cringing in embarresment. The Longest Yard was not anything that I expected it would be. With a cast like this it should have at least been funnier than this. Adam Sandler movies are usually not the greatest movies in the world but at least they provide alot of laughs while you sit there for 2 hours. This one missed the mark by a long shot.

[​IMG] 1/2 /[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] / [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I saw this film this past weekend with friends, and I'm not sure if it was the pleasant, fun atmosphere of our day or what, but we all seemed to enjoy it for what it was. Sure it can't hold up to the original, but very few remakes can. So not to defend it or anything, but my wife and I, and our friends, found it entertaining in a harmless sort of way.

But I think we can all agree that the true star of this film is Courtney Cox's chest.

17. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I can agree with that at least. When did she buy those?

18. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Pictures or screenshots are now required. [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander Second Unit

Well, wasn't that long ago she was pregnant. Full of that baby juice I presume.

And yes, it really was the best part of the movie.