What's new

REVIEW: "The Hustler" with screen captures ! (1 Viewer)

Gavin_L

Second Unit
nice review gary, can't wait to watch my dvd. looks like fox did quite a good job with the dvd :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks, Gary. Glad to see this DVD meets expectations - can't wait to pick it up next week...

Greg Br

Second Unit
One of the great cinema movies ever made, think they would even try to make this today without a need for CGI.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I posted also in the other Hustler thread, the documentary alone makes this worth purchasing. Great intro as well, very much like the French Connection opening sequence on that disc

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I watched it again last night... and the extras. The Extras are very good.

I certainly am not compalining, but they could have charged double and still made a ton of sales with this disc. Like I stated in my review, 10 years ago I wanted to buy the LaserDisc and they wanted over $100.00 ? . In fact I seem to recall many CBS/FOX Lasers being way over priced... perhaps they are making up for it now with their DVDs, which, for what they offer, are some of the best value...

If you take into account price, this could be one of the best discs of the year... no ?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Gary
I absolutely agree with you on this. I watched the Mike Massey intro to the opening scenes with the trickshots, wow simply fantastic way to tell the story. The black and white of the premiere is fascinating, plus the revelation that Richard Burton simply loved the movie is great as well.
I am going to watch the docu again.
Thanks to Fox for such a great disc
:emoji_thumbsup:

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
That funny, I almost mentioned that the cover was my only negative about this marvelous DVD... no reason for it to be in color ESPECIALLY when the B+W cinematography was such an important part to this film... and I agree "unimaginative" is a great description...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I see Turner Broadcasting took over the cover rights here. That's a shame but I still can't wait until Monday. I've waited for this for a long, long time.

Bruce

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Circuit City will have Hustler for $12.99 (also the new Blue Velvet for $14.99). Best Buy will have it for $12.99 too and they will also have Hombre for $12.99 too. No mention of the Verdict though :frowning:.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City will have Hustler for $12.99. .... Best Buy will have it for $12.99 too...
Now, I ask you, HOW, oh HOW, could anyone pass up this excellent film when such a small amount of currency of the realm must be shelled out?!!
Might as well buy a boatload for these prices!! :)
In the words of a Jedi Master .... "The Hustler you seek...a better value you will find not....Yesssss." :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I almost mentioned that the cover was my only negative about this marvelous DVD.
I disagree. Your review glosses over it, but the ensemble commentary track (at least seven participants and a moderator; separately recorded comments) is a real chore to get through. Paul Newman is listed first among the participants on the back of the DVD, the special features menu and in your review, but he has only two or three things to say. Comments from people who have nothing interesting to add--the Time film critic, a bit actor droning on about how he didn't audition for the role he got--are included. Because people don't talk about what's happening onscreen, it ends up being an audio documentary--and not a good one.

Having said all that, the disappointment of the "commentary" doesn't diminish the fact that this is a wonderful DVD. The background featurette and Massey's contributions are a wonderful, unique idea. I especially enjoyed his picture-in-picture commentary for the great pool scenes. Most of the scenes in the making-of featurette are pan and scan, but they'll serve as a perfect example of what's lost when a widescreen film is modified. (There's actually one moment in the opening hustle when the pan-and-scan image cuts off both Eddie and Charlie as they go through their bit around the table; it shows just the bartender watching them.)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
This is the only dvd I'm picking up tomorrow. I've been waiting years for this release on dvd and can't believe I'll finally have it in my hands tomorrow.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
Watching the disc now for the first time and I've gotta say it really seems Fox did a great job. I see me spending a lot of time with this one.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Your review glosses over it, but the ensemble commentary track (at least seven participants and a moderator; separately recorded comments) is a real chore to get through. Paul Newman is listed first among the participants on the back of the DVD, the special features menu and in your review, but he has only two or three things to say.
You think the Newman problem's bad here? Check out The Verdict, which touts a track from Newman and director Sidney Lumet. The latter goes silent too much of the time - LOTS of empty spaces here - but at least he's around for most of the commentary. Newman shows up near the end, talks for literally about two minutes, and that's it! Calling this a commentary from BOTH of them is borderline false advertising.

That said, I liked the "audio documentary". I couldn't care less if a track is screen-specific. Many of those are good, but many others are quite dull - like Lumet's. Give me a well-edited and intrguing piece like the one for The Hustler anyday - I found it to be very interesting and informative...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teddyballgame
Recent bookmarks