Review: REM Document on DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Lane, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Well I received my copy of REM Document today on DVD-A and have had a chance to listen to both the stero and multichannel tracks on this disc.

First a note on the authoring. Both Group 1 and Group 2 on this disc contain the same multichannel 96/24 mix. Group 1 presents the material with lyrics on the screen while Group 2 is the interactive track which allows you to look at the lyrics, photo gallery, or just a default image on the screen while the music is playing. Group 3 contains a 192/24 stereo track. Both the DD and DTS tracks are available through the menus on this disc. This disc also contains the videos for "Finest Worksong", "Its The End of The World As We Know It" and "The One I Love".

Impressions

Multichannel

Usually when I listen to a disc on DVD-A or SACD which contains a stereo and multichannel mix, I spin the stereo first, but having already purchased Automatic for the People and Reveal I had expectations for a great multichannel track so to that I first listened. This disc did not fail to meet my expectations in multichannel but actually exceeded them. From "Finest Worksong" all the through "Oddfellows Local 151" the surround mix was consistent. Main Vocals were found in the front three channels with backups in the surrounds. The chorus in the surrounds during "Its The End Of The world As We Know It" provided an excellent counterpoint to the vocals from Stipe in the front channels. The surround channels also carried instruments on every track usually in the form of guitars, though never overwhelming the vocals coming from the front. My favorite surround track on the entire disc was "Lightnin Hopkins" which proved to be one of the best uses of multichannel I have heard to date, well worth the price of admission alone. The beginning of "Exhuming McCarthy" had a very cool effect with the typwriter moving around the room starting at the right surround speaker making a complete circle. All in all I have to rank this right up there with the best multichannel mixes I have heard to date.

Stereo

After listening to the multichannel track I next spun the 192/24 stereo track. This track easily bested the redbook CD of this disc I currently own. Greater imaging and a wider soundstage, as I have come to expect from 192/24 DVD-A discs when compared to their CD counterparts. After listening to the multichannel mix however, the stereo on this disc just seemed a bit dull. Though I continue to purchase stereo only discs in Hi-res, I am becoming more and more convinced that if either DVD-A or SACD is ever going to take off, multichannel will be the key.

Final Thoughts

This disc is a must buy for anyone who is a fan of REM or rock music. Excellent stereo track and one of the best multichannel tracks I have heard to date. Highly Recommended.

J

2. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Good job Justin. Thanks for the info!

I'll probably be picking this one up tomorrow. [​IMG]

3. Justin Lane

Another interesting nugget I took from reading the liner notes on this disc was the following:

4. Justin Lane

5. Michael St. Clair

6. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

Justin....
    Did you say this disc has a DTS track??
    Are the videos in surround?
    It isn't mentioned anywhere online.
    Looks like I'll be picking it up.

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Thanks for the review.

I will be getting this tomorrow as expected.

8. Justin Lane

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

10. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Wonderful! I will be adding this to my collection. Thanks Justin. Now all we need is some more REM titles to be released.

11. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I'm tempted by both this and Music From Big Pink, but $25 is just too much for a 40-minute DVD-A (though the videos are a welcome bonus). EMI needs to cut prices on these to under $20 -- they're out of step with the rest of the hi-res market.

Ryan

12. Justin Lane

13. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

My Best Buy has it for 22.99, same as The Who SACD!

14. Ryan Spaight

Hmmm. My Best Buy has Document for $22.99 and the Who SACD for $19.99. The Who disc is actually cheaper than the equivalent 2 CD set, while Document is almost double the price of the CD ($11.99). They didn't have Big Pink at all. Maybe it was delayed?

Thanks for the tip, Justin. That's more acceptable.

Ryan

15. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I thought DVD-A prices were supposed to be reduced, not increased since last year. Best Buy has Document for $22.99 and Circuit City's Web site has it for $24.99! I'll buy it anyway, but what's the story on pricing now?

16. Ryan Spaight

17. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit