REVIEW: "Red Green: Duct Tape Forever" (with screenshots)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris M, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

[​IMG]
    Red Green: Duct Tape Forever
    Distributed by: TVA International through Lions Gate Films
    OAR 1.85:1 shown in 1.33:1 Pan & Scan
    Soundtracks: English 5.1, 2.0
    No Subtitles
    Movie
    Red Green is almost a cult show that has grown out of Canada. Steve Smith stars as Red Green, and he's been in Canadian comedy shows since 1979 in a TV Series called "Smith & Smith Comedy Mill" with his wife Morag, that show ran 9 years.
    "The Red Green Show" has done 72 episodes and 10 years. You can find some choice episodes on the "Red Green: Stuffed And Mounted" 2, 3 and (soon) 4) DVDs. This show is currently being run coast to coast in Canada and throughout several countries in the world including Australia, Korea, Fiji, Trinidad, Turkey, and of course, the United States.
    Red Green's nephew Harold (Patrick McKenna) is a geeky young guy that just doesn't quite fit in with the other Possum Lake Lodge members, and it's quite jolting to see him in this show as this character after seeing Patrick in the TV Series Traders, or some of the other movies he's been in.
    [​IMG]
    As for the movie itself, it stays very true to the original TV series, but since it's a "road trip" movie it gets to go somewhere different than just the lodge.
    The premise of the movie is that a rich developer, Robert Stiles (Richard Fitzpatrick) drives his limousine into a sinkhole at Possum Lodge, which he then sues the lodge members for. The judge rules in Stiles' favour and orders the lodge to pay $10,000 in damages within 10 days or the lodge becomes the property of the town of Possum Lake, which can do with it as they like (Sell it to Stiles).
    Harold then finds a contest, which would earn the lodge the money, a duct tape contest, they must create something that is at least 50% duct tape, and 3rd prize is $10,000 of course! The members come together and build the giant goose, which you see in the screen caps. The show really gets going when the trip to Minneapolis for the World Wide Duct Tape Festival.
    [​IMG]
    If you've ever seen the TV series and enjoy the sense of humour, I think you'll get a kick out of this movie, I know I laughed out loud a few times. Some people compare the show to the Three Stooges, or even Monty Python, but I believe it's only compared to say that the sense of humour is "original"... nothing more.
    [​IMG]
    I recommend you check out the TV series, and if you like it... definitely rent this movie. You'll enjoy it; it's mindless fun and family friendly too!
    Video
    Hmm, this is the real problem, the show is blatantly pan & scanned from it's original 1.85:1 theatrical presentation as shown in the below 2 sets of pictures. It is unfortunate that Lions Gate Films did this, as I know I won't buy this movie (I rented it). I will send an email to them asking for an explanation, I probably won't get one. There is no OAR version of this movie on any DVD.
    Overall the picture is quite good, since it was released on DVD just months after its theatrical release. I noticed a little grain, but that's it.
    Example 1:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Example 2:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sound
    The 5.1 soundtrack is adequate for this movie. The surrounds were alive with ambience, for instance at the lodge you could hear the birds chirping, and in the court room there was rustling and coughing. It was done very well. There was no noticeable LFE though, but for this type of movie, that's acceptable.
    The DD 2.0 soundtrack is decent enough.
    Extras
    The gem is the Screen Specific Commentary by writer Steve Smith. You get to hear what he really sounds like, not quite as raspy voiced. Listening to the commentary you learn a lot about the film, he is quite thorough and lends a lot of insight. Not hugely funny, but it does have a couple laughs befitting his sense of humour.
    [​IMG]
    There is also a 1-hour Documentary created to promote the movie. This is a little weird, the actors are still in character for the documentary, and are all pretending to make a movie while taking time away from the lodge and their families. This documentary would be great a 1/2 it's length, but in between the good stuff they put short interviews by many of the extras, who happen to be fans of the show, and all appear to be from the US too. Most are quite geeky and may actually typify the Red Green viewer.
    [​IMG]
    Their comments are easy to ignore and they really don't add anything special to the documentary. It does show clips from the movie in their OAR, which is quite unfortunate and adds insult to injury.
    [​IMG]
    There is also 2 trailers and some pictures.
    Overall
    Well, aside from the documentary, which is overstuffed, and the fact that the movie is pan and scanned to death, the film itself is very funny and the DVD has some good stuff on it.
    As I said before, if you haven't seen the TV series, don't bother renting it, but I definitely recommend everyone watch at least a couple episodes! Only then, if you liked the show, you MUST rent this DVD!
    Chris MacLean

2. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I consider myself a Red Green fan, but I refuse to support a pan-and-scan DVD. Unfortunate.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Good job at mimicking Ron's dvd review subject lines, but I don't think he'd review a MAR disc (other than the big bird one).

4. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

I don't mind that you reviewed this. At least now I KNOW this is pan n' scan. Stupid Lions Gate. Good thing I saw this in theatres. I feel like writing a letter to complain. If they have shots in the documentary in widescreen, doesn't that mean they have a full widescreen master sitting somewhere?

5. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

It isn't Lions Gate. It's TVA Films (who are distributed by Lions Gate) and I received my review copy yesterday. I'll drop a quick note to my contact at TVA and see what he has to say about the aspect ratio. It's possible the film was shot 1.33:1 and matted to 1.85:1

Who knows. I'll get to the bottom of it though.

6. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I did a review of this to show people what the only DVD release of this film is like. I do not support P&S, which I state in the review, but the packaging didn't say either way when I rented it. This way people can be fairly warned about it before renting or buying it.

Chris.

PS, I liked Ron's standard.. I hope he's not offended that I borrowed some of his format for my review.

7. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

Was there a Stuffed and Mounted #1 ?
    I suppose it's some joke.

I like Red Green, but I won't pay full price for a Lion's Gate p&s jobbie.

8. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Stuffed & Mounted 1 was only available in VHS apparently.

9. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I really enjoy The Red Green Show; the later seasons aren't as funny as the earlier ones, but there are still some good gags. I wanted to see this movie in theaters, but I don't think it ever came anywhere near me. I'll probably rent it, but I don't think I'll buy it if it's just P&S. That's a shame.

10. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

11. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Wow, I didn't even know this had come out theatrically yet.

12. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

13. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Just out of curiosity, when is this coming out in the US?

14. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

Why didn't they release a widescreen version as well?

15. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

16. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I really liked this movie! Was gonna buy it but NO OAR = NO SALE! Why couldn't they use P&S On the fly like they did on Ginger Snaps?

Hopefully it will be released in the US, IN OAR THIS TIME AROUND!

17. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

18. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

19. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

20. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    So, when is this coming out in the US?