REVIEW: Queen "We Will Rock You" special editon DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    The special edition DVD of "We Will Rock You" is now available in America. Here is a review;
    First off, the packaging is new. Instead of that generic silhouette of Freddie, the new DVD has a very nice shot of the band on stage.
    The tracklisting is identical to the previous DVD release.
    Putting in the disc we see a nice animated menu with Queen playing in the background.
    Starting off with the video/audio presentation...
    The film is presented in anamorphic widescreen finally giving fans the chance to see the film in it's intended ratio. Afterall, the film was originally shot for an IMAX type show on a 5 story tall screen.
    This is a completely NEW video transfer, this time in high-definition. The differences between this DVD and all previous home video releases are very noticable. The new DVD shows so much more detail, the clarity in some shots was stunning. It also gave much more depth to the lighting Queen used on stage. All specs of dirt, scratches, hair, etc were removed. This is the BEST "We Will Rock You" has ever looked.
    The audio is a new Dolby Digital 5.1 mix and again, it's something to behold. You will never hear a better sounding Brian May guitar solo, the mix is that good. (There is also a seperate DTS release of the disc for those that have DTS receivers.)
    Concerning the extras, there is a informative audio commentary track by the film's director, Saul Swimmer. He shares plenty of anecdotes such as how the members of Queen insisted on screening the film seperate from each other, that Roger poked fun at the way Freddie held his hands at the piano and how Brian basically ignored all the cameras insisting that his performance was for the fans at the concert and nothing else. One odd thing Swimmer said was calling Queen a "cult band". They were coming off their biggest success ever in North America at the time and that equals cult status?
    There is an extremely easy Queen trivia quiz to play (though there are some mistakes as calling "The Loser in the End" simply "The Loser" but these are minor quibbles.)
    Also included are bios of the band and for each seperate member. You can also check out a Queen discography, complete with album covers, tracklistings and how they did in the charts (they only refered to the UK charts for some reason.)
    Then there is a virtual tour of Queen landmarks in England where you take a subway to each location (such as Kensington Market, the Queen fan club, etc) all the while hearing subway announcements like 'please watch your step' which made it fun.
    All in all this is a no-brainer purchase, even if you own the previously released DVD. The new widescreen hi-def transfer and audio mix is worth it alone.
    ------------------
    Sign up for a "Return of the Living Dead" special edition DVD at the following URL!
    http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/ROTLD.html

2. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

nice review, I can't wait till Amazon delivers my copy- I am eagerly awaiting this title big time, now lets continue with the Queen DVD releases!
    Tim

3. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

Thanks for that. Is it in the stores now?

4. Michael Allred

Michael
  5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

6. Eric Wood

Eric Wood Stunt Coordinator

If I remember right. When I saw the "Stones" at the IMAX in Seattle it was not square.
    [Edited last by Eric Wood on October 30, 2001 at 08:21 PM]

7. Michael Allred

Michael
    Mr. Lambert, allow me to clarify.
    "WWRY" was *not* an IMAX film.
    On the audio commentary track, director Saul Swimmer simply said it was "like IMAX" in that it was shown on HUGE screens. Swimmer also said the DVD was presenting the film how it's "intended" to be seen i.e widescreen. It is OAR.
    In fact Swimmer kept saying how great the picture is and how happy he was the the entire frame was finally being seen on home video.
    ------------------
    Sign up for a "Return of the Living Dead" special edition DVD at the following URL!
    http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/ROTLD.html

8. David Lambert

Mr. Allred:
    Call me "Dave"...may I call you Mike? Thanks. [​IMG]
    Don't get upset over the slogan. It was a tad tongue-in-cheek, as a reminder to all that the slogan works both ways.
    I think sometimes we take the whole thing too seriously, and that includes me. The situation got me thinking, and so I guess I wanted to share that with everyone else. I consiously didn't put a " [​IMG] " or any other smiley on it as a reminder that perhaps we OAR advocates - on occassion - don't know where to draw the line.
    Point apparently made, since I sense a tenseness here. If I got you to THINK, then I made my point. Thanks, and now I'll drop this and go back to my usual Super-Pro-OAR stance. As I don my flame-proof suit!! [​IMG]
    As to whether or not the disc will be purchased, have no doubt. My wife is the most SUPREME fan of Queen on this side of the planet, I often think. If I ever want to "get some" again - forever - then I will find her this disc! [​IMG]
    Noone locally that I checked with had it in-stock yesterday. Today I'll check with the music store that is (still!) working on getting me WS Cats & Dogs. I'm sure they'll have this one, since Music DVD's is one of their passions.
    I saw one poster say their local Best Buy had it. Unless I just missed it, or some other fans got there before me, then I wasn't so lucky. Sigh.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

9. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Can anyone verify if there is just one version of this DVD? When using DVD Price Search, three different listings popped up. Also, many sites are listing two different prices (i.e. $19.95 and $22.95). What's the difference if any? Thanks!
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

10. David Lambert

There's the original version, out for a couple of years.
    There's the new SE version, in Dolby.
    There's the new SE version, in DTA.
    I've noted that all 3 versions are pictured at the online e-tailers with the same cover, which is the old one (blue with FM's silouhette). According to the above, the 2 new SE's have a different cover. Perhaps that's why I didn't spot it in B&M's yesterday...looking for the wrong thing. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

11. Morgan Holly

Morgan Holly Agent

The "Dolby" version also has a 24-bit 48K PCM track.
    ------------------
    www.bitpress.com

12. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Thanks for the input guys. I think this will be an immediate B&M purchase for me. I want to make certain I receive the NEW version. Having an on-line site inadvertantly send me an OLD copy would stress me out beyond belief. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

13. Michael Allred

Michael
  14. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

15. Michael Coate

Michael Coate Stunt Coordinator

16. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I have to agree with Michael's review- this DVD is far superior to the first one that came out several years ago. The colors are much more vibrant and the picture is much cleaner, the sound also kicks ass. They also did a good job on the menus- if your a fan its worth a purchase.
    Tim

17. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

I agree the remake is a winner.
    The 5.1 audio is bold and brash.
    On the original, Brian May's guitar would get lost in the mix.
    But not on this one.
    Oh yeah, the dts track is alive!

18. Irens Cruz

Irens Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Please clarify,
    DVD empire show two different versions (DD and DTS) and they only have the DD in stock. Is that correct ? If so, Does the DTS version contains DD and is it woth the wait ?
    Thanks

19. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I bought the DTS version and it also contains a DD 5.1 track so you get the best of both worlds. I believe if you buy the DD version you also get the 2.0 version with it- I would go with the DTS version. And yes it is worth it- big difference from the original DVD, mostly in video, but DTS is nice also.
    Tim

20. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    I purchased the dts version last week. The release is by Pioneer and it is Region 0. Disc number is PA-11554.
    This is the best concert DVD I have seen.
    Web site for Pioneer is http://www.pioneer-ent.com