What's new

Review: Quantum Redshift (1 Viewer)

Scott "E"

Second Unit
After some rather lack luster reviews on various gaming sites I went to my local EB to purchase Quantum Redshift. One question to the reviewers of this game, what the hell were you guys smoking and can I have some? If you are a racing fan and or a fan of Wipeout go buy this game, one word describes this game, WOW.
Graphics
The first thing that you'll notice when you first start the game is that it is absolutely beautiful. Everything in this game is bump mapped and there are some outstanding lighting effects going on as well. There are some nice varieties in the courses, which there are a total of 16 of. At times you'll start to lose focus on the race by some of the backgrounds, but this will pass as you unlock the different skill levels, because it's gonna be kind of hard to focus on something that is nothing but a blur :). Speaking of speed, 60 frames a second with not a sign of slowdown to be seen, anywhere, this game is freakishly fast!! The one complaint I have is that the water interaction with your ship could have been more than what it is. You'll get a spray that projects from the back of your ship, but no ripple effects. They made up for the mistake however by including the same water effect on the windshield that Moto GP uses, this will get your friends drooling. The only thing that could make the graphics better would be HD support, but you still get 480p and 16:9 support.
Sound
Here you'll be getting the typical experience you've grown accustom to on the Xbox. That's right another titles soundtrack put to good use by the powers of Dolby Digital 5.1. You'll be able to here the opponents ships coming up from behind you on either side, although depending on how fast they're closing on you, you might not here them until it's too late. The music in the game is mostly forgettable IMO, but not to worry, because as is becoming more common lately, especially in racing games, is the ability to use custom soundtracks. The soundtrack interface has a lot in common with PGR, in that if you have more than one playlist it will let you pick and choose from them to make your soundtrack.
Gameplay
If there is one thing that can ruin any game, especially a racing game, it's the control. Well, good news, Quantum Redshift does not have this problem. The controls are very responsive and very easy to learn. The right trigger is the gas, the left trigger is to powerslide, the "A" button is turbo, the "X" button is for non homing weapons, the "B" button is for homing weapons, and the "Y" button is for your shield. When you first start the game you can select from 7 characters. Each characters ship has different strengths and weaknesses, these range from better turning to being faster on the different surfaces found through out the levels. Once you pick your character you'll be put into action against 5 opponents, one of which will be your characters rival. You'll race through 3 events and then you'll be put into a head to head race against your rival. If you succeed you will then have access to that character and there home track. There are a total of 16 playable characters to match the 16 tracks in the game. There are a total of 5 different classes in the game, in the beginning you will only have access to the beginner class, but as you win the various tournaments you will unlock the other classes. Things really start getting interesting when you unlock the third class, but be warned, because when you unlock the "Redshift" class you'll be wishing this game had slowdown :). The story in the game is pretty cheesy IMO, before each race your character gets a little camera time and 9 times out of 10 you'll think your character is going to say something else, but they don't. IMO, this part of the game could have been left out. There are some Easter eggs that are unlockable as well as you progress through the game, fans of Moto GP will appreciate these extras, although I haven't unlocked anything yet that comes close to the "Bring, Ding, Ding" effect.
Conclusion
Well, as you can tell I really like this game. It's a solid game inside and out, if it had Live support and or system link support I'd be in heaven, but you still get 4 player splitscreen action. Oh, and it still doesn't slow down in this mode either. This very well may be the best looking game to date on the box, it really has to be seen to be believed. With all the racers on the Xbox, it would be a shame if you passed over this title do to the reviews it received. Do yourself a favor and at least give it a rent, trust me, it will be worth it.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Thanks a bunch Scott. I'm a diehard Wipeout fan, and I was a little disappointed with the press reviews, but after hearing your take, I'm going to buy it.

One question to the reviewers of this game, what the hell were you guys smoking and can I have some?
LOL, but you're probably dead on.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
maybe those reviewers are bored with anything wipeout. they said qr didnt offer anything new and gave a low score because of that.

i downloaded tons of movie clips, and i agree that the game looks good. bring it to a south asian country, put an xbox inside a use daytona arcade, and people will play it like crazy, guaranteed.

but one question.

"faster on the different surfaces "

how??? do they have wheels?

Scott "E"

Second Unit
"faster on the different surfaces " how??? do they have wheels?
Nope :), the ships will interact with the surfaces (snow, water, dirt, etc) they go over, this adds a bit of strategy, as a lot of the short cuts in the game are not always asphalt.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Yeah, thanks sscott. I was thinking of taking a pass on this one, but maybe I'll give it a try afterall. You made it sound rather fun.:)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I agree wholeheartedly with that review. Quantum Redshift is just an absolute blast! The novice and amateur levels are kinda' pedestrian, but after that, BOY HOWDY IS IT FAST!!!! The game becomes a hectic racing shoot'em'up, and I'm loving every minute of it!

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I can't express how much setting up a custom soundtrack on this game helps. I was getting a "meh" feeling but then I changed the music and it made a world of difference.

I'm just flooded with good games right now. Why are good video games always feast or famine? I mean Robotech, Quatum Redshift, NFL2k3, Sega gt2002. Buffy. Its getting hard to decide what to play.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I picked this up yesterday and am having a blast. I agree with the comments above. It's amazing how fast this game is, and I'm only on the Amateur levels. Hit the turbo and buh-bye. Actually, I fear that the incredible speed may be this game's weakness. I can't imagine the upper levels being useable at speeds of 900mph. Will be an interesting ride, though (if I ever make it there). I think the net reviews I have read so far do a disservice to the game by giving it a low ranking simply because it's "too similar to Wipeout" (which I've never played). The game should be evaluated on its own merit.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
My quick impressions (borrowing it to play more tonight!):
Very nifty.
The initial speed level is very slow & you don't start off with
anywhere near enough turbo, but the first amateur league is
exceptionally easy to finish. After that, it speeds up nicely.
Definitely Wipeout2097 with a dash of F-Zero. Pretty graphics, pretty
track design, good sense of speed, lots of nice special effects, nice
weapons etc.
Vehicle designs are ugly. Too un-wipeout for me. Controls are nice,
though I miss the airbrakes.
You "buy" weapon/turbo/shield levels - you're awarded points during
hte race for shooting enemies, picking up powerups, "big air" etc, and
if at the end of the race you've broken your point high score, you get
to spend the difference on upgrades. Those are reflected in the next
race by giving you more turbo time, more shield time, better weapons
etc.
The league isn't much of a league - you need to finish in 1st place
every track.
So far, it hasn't left much of an impression on my co-workers. Of
course, they stank at it which didn't help. They struggled again &
again on the very first track, at the lowest speed, to get out of last
place. I picked up the controller, went into 1st place on the first
bend & won every track through to level 3 :)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
My biggest gripe is the big difficulty jump between amateur and the next class. It'd be nice if it was a little more gradual.

-Dave

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I saw this for $30 at Target the other day. I almost picked it up, but I couldn't remember if it had multiplayer. And I didn't even bother to check.

If I have any spare cash lying around in a week or two (I expect my wallet to be extremely light after this coming week & Xbox Live) I might have to pick this up. I loved the Wipeout series, and I was very interested in Quantum Redshift up until the reviews started coming out.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Damn, I paid $50 about two weeks ago. Oh well, it's a fun game so I don't regret buying it. It does have multi-player, but not online/xb-live.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've been considering buying this now that it's selling for $30 new at some places (an important lesson I have learned about buying games...), but I am waiting to try the demo in the next OXM which should be here in 2 weeks.

-Dan

Kami

Screenwriter
Been playing the demo. Had LOTS of fun...saw this at the store for $40 Canadian, on my way to get it!

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I'll be getting this at some point when I get my Box. I was close to it anyway, but then found out that Curly Monsters is mostly the original wipEout team, so this should be interesting. I'll definitely be playlisting the old 2097 soundtrack, to match I think.

Derek.Dixon

Agent
I own and run the game on my platinum Mits the game looks great, the widescreen view really looks good it adds a better sense of depth to these kind of games, and if you do own a widescreen RPTV it really impresses your friends, be sure to burn some good music on your Xbox the custom sountracks when done right can be very cool I'm partial to Star Wars for this game but any cool techno or club music works.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Just bought it a few days back at EBX for $9.99. All you fence-sitters should see if your local EB has any in stock.

I find myself impressed with both the graphics and the number of ways one can go around a track. There are many spots on each track where you can turbo across a lake, over a hill, or off a ramp, instead of staying on the "official" track to shave some seconds off your time.

The graphics are very impressive, with the high points being the track design and particle effects. The ship designs are growing on me.

The soundtrack is a moot point because I have custom tunes on my playlist. However, one area where I am disappointed are the "engine" and "SFX" sounds. Both lack in the low frequencies, which I usually associate with powerful ships and weapons. Think along the lines of Wip3out and the quake disruptor weapon.

But this is definitely a great racer, and the sense of speed is excellent. More than worth the $10 I paid for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks