1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Review of the three Gamecube release titles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ely, Oct 8, 2001.

1. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

Over the past week I've had the opportunity to play with the Nintendo Gamecube. Here's my short review of the games I played.
    Luigi's Mansion
    ----------------
    While this game looks very good, the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired.
    The graphics of the Gamecube are shown off in the lighting and transparency effects. It really shows what the Cube is capable of. Unfortunately, some of the textures used in the game look low-res and seem out of place in the game.
    the main fault of this game is the gameplay. After 15 minutes of playing you will do all there is to do in the game. From there on, it's the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. See a pattern here? The only thing that really changes is how long it takes to capture a ghost. There are mini puzzles with the larger ghosts, but nothing that will require you to be fully conscious.
    Waverace
    ---------
    I'm am VERY shocked at this same. Waverace was a great game on the N64 and they screwed it up here!!!!
    The graphics are really nothing new. We've seen games like this on the Dreamcast. The Water effect is okay, but there is absolutely no refraction of light happening under the water! This makes it look like you're riding on a transparent, wavy blanket.
    The control of the game is HORRIBLE!!! It is so unresponsive that you're going to want to toss the Gamecube across the room! You will get used to the control after a while, but it requires that you move the joystick well before you need to make the move onscreen. This makes quick reactions impossible in the game.
    Super Monkey Ball
    ------------------
    Not quite sure where to start with this game.
    The graphics are definately nothing special. This doesn't mean they're bad, because they fit the game perfectly
    The single player mode is a puzzle game that requires the user to collect bananas. This is actually quite fun.
    The multiplayer levels are fun until you actually start to get good at them. My friends and I were howling away as we tried to learn the game (the manual was in Japaneese). It was hilarious. Once we actually got good at playing, the fun completely wore off.
    I guess this would be a good game to rent for a party, but DO NOT read the manual before playing.
    As you can probably tell, I'm less than impressed with what I've played so far. I'm definately going to save my $300Cdn.
    One quick note ... I really like the Gamecube controllers! They are a really great size, and the trigger buttons are incredible!! They are made of a very smooth plastic and fit your fingers perfectly. Very confortable for long hours of play!
    The only downside to the controllers is that the yellow joystick near the buttons does take some getting used to, and the 'Z' button seems very out of place.

2. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Wow, Im disappointed to hear that. I was looking forward to Luigi's Mansion and definitely Rouge Squadron. I was going to buy the GC for Rogue Squadron alone! I know that's pretty impulsive, but what the heck.. I may wait a couple months now just to see how things shake out between GC and XBox.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Rob-
    Keep in mind that its just one review. I have heard pretty good things about the launch titles, and I have also heard pretty bad things. I suggest that you wait until you actually play the games before making a decision on which one(s) you want.

4. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Certainly, this months Edge were impressed once they got into Luigi. I was slightly disappointed by their review of Waverace, as while they didn't have the handling problems described above there doesn't seem to be that much other than some very nice looking graphics and more racers new about the game.
    Meanwhile, they drool all over Super Monkey Ball, which is great to hear...

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Having sampled the games on Japanese import a few times now, I can't bring myself to agree with the above reviews, with perhaps exception of Luigi's Mansion, but not to that extent as the more I played it the more gems in its gameplay you uncover.
    Waverace is the title of the three launch titles I have been able to play the least in terms of being able to get to a demo. I was impressed with the game when I got to have a go, very elegant and precise control. Extremely playable.
    Monkey Ball is by far my fave of the launch titles Japan saw. I absolutely love this games quirks and it's right at the top of the list with Rogue Leader in my want of titles with my US import.
    Dan (UK)

8. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I hear that Luigi while no Mario is really not a bad game. I think I'll give the big N a chance for this one unless I hear a LOT of bad reviews. From what I've seen Waverace is kind of the same old stuff but Super Monkey Ball looks great. The game I'm really waiting is for is Pikmin. I must admit the Rogue Leader is looking awesome as well.
    -Andre F
    ------------------
    -= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-
    [Edited last by Andre F on October 09, 2001 at 06:25 PM]