What's new

Review of Samsung DVD-L100 Portable player (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I just read the review of the portable Samsung dvd player. I'd like to add some notes as I feel there are more negatives that needed to be mentioned. I first saw the unit at CES in Vegas last January and knew I would own one eventually. Now that I have one (it took me 3 units to get one without a dead pixel) here's a few concerns:

Picture tweaking: As the reviewer stated, the Brightness control is lame. It doesn't need to be there because it does not work. Also, there is no way to tweak the picture period. Not to say that the picture isn't great, it is. But forget about adjusting anything.

Viewing 4:3 material: My unit automatically stretches Citizen Kane to fit the 16 X 9 screen, regardless of what I pre-set with the remote. Does yours?

Manual: No mention of ANY accessories, like the supposed 6-hour battery or how to get one.

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
David,

We contacted Samsung about the "defunct" brightness control and they made it seem as though the player must have had a defect. Agreed, no picture tweeking--even though the picture is great...not all DVDs are. We didn't have a problem with 4:3 playback--black bars the norm. Also, our player came with a 6-hour battery.

It's frustrating when well after the review is written, some issues pop up that can only be had after living with a component. It makes me think we should do extended reviews on some units such as MotorTrend does with vehicles...

Thank you for the feedback--I'm meeting with Samsung next week at CES--I'll mention the woes.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Clint, thanks for the reply. You didn't have a problem with 4:3 playback? Perhaps you can tell me the procedures you took when displaying 4:3 material. Also, your unit came with a 6 hour battery?! Wow, that's great because nobody elses unit came with one. We're lucky if we can get a whole movie in one charge. I am also going to see Samsung at CES and you can bet I'll be talking to them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks