What's new

Review of Salk HTS-MTM (1 Viewer)

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
Review of Salk HTS-MTM
If you follow this board, then you may have seen my refferences to Jim Salk's beautiful custom speakers.
in the future, i hope to buy one of Jim's Veracity designs for a dedicated music only system. however, my primary interest is in home theater.
i have been interested in upgrading our front soundstage and i wanted a good timber match for our 7.1 surround speakers.
for surrounds, we use 8 (4 pairs) of modded Optimus PRO-LX5s. the LX5 has the famous Lineum dipole ribbon tweeter that is ideal for an ambient, enveloping surround soundfield. the problem was that the LX5 ribbon tweeters have that transparent "airy" quality that is characteristic of ribbon or planar designs.
for the main speakers in a dedicated home theater, there are not many designs that use ribbon tweeters. the few commercial options tend to be priced out of our league (think Martin Logan).

for backround information:
our bass is handled by an SVS PB12-ultra/2.
decoding and signal distribution is by a Sony DA4ES receiver and we have several outboard HK PA2000 amps to handle the power.
our video display is a backlit Panasonic plasma on an articulating wallmount.

i would be happy to answer any questions.

here is my review of the Salk HTS-MTM:
http://audioreview.com/Bookshelf+Spe...x.aspx#reviews
best,
eric

KenLars

Auditioning
The top left corner has a search box and if you put in Salk, you'll come up with a list of reviews for different speakers that he makes..including the MTM.

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
for some reason the link did not copy well.
i fixed it. it should take you directly there.
incidentally, Jim Salk read my review and sent me an email to point out that the HTS-MTMs are relatively sensitive (90.5 db.) and were designed to be powered by most ht receivers. many ht speakers are in the mid 80 db. range.
i guess i just like having a lot of power (at least 100w/channel).
bottom line is that most amps can handle the HTS series with ease.
best,
eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks