Review of PB2+ on hometheaterspot

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ScottCarr, Oct 31, 2003.

1. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

2. Jon_Krug

Jon_Krug Stunt Coordinator

someone started a thread about another review for the pb2+ less than a week ago. for some reason i think it was deleted. does anyone know why?

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Well, I'll post here since it sunk in when I read this review. The PB2+ has stereo RCA jacks in and out, with the crossover in the sub. Any benefit to say, running the mains "large" in the pre/pro, "no" sub, and then using the crossover in the sub?

Oops, one probably downside anyway: DVD-A/SACD via the 5.1 analog inputs in the pre/pro. The pre/pro won't do LFE redirection to the mains even if I have "no" sub in the pre/pro. I don't think the player will either, even though it should. Well, for kicks, any advantage if I could do that? I'm thinking mainly phase, but it's not so hard to get phase correct the way most of us do it now (letting the pre/pro do the x-over).

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

That article was great. Having been thinking about replacing my own sub in a 4300 cubic foot room and my only SVS audible reference is a Twin 25-31 CS+ Setup, this comparison with the 25-31 CS ultras seems to have said that the pb2+ was better so I shouldn't be too worried about being dissapointed if I go that route.

If the Pb2+ Widescreen review article is able to be had via the magazine, which WSR is it available in?

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Shane:

Issue 78, November 2003.

Regards,

7. Jon-C

Jon-C Stunt Coordinator

The thread was bumped over to the WIDESCREEN REVIEW forum...

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ed- It's not the BM from the player that had me concerned. In other words, if I wanted to do the crossing over within the sub, then I can't have any separate LFE signal. No .1 of the 5.1. The LFE has to be redirected into the mains so I can have the sub do everything. DD and DTS are easy, because the pre/pro will redirect the LFE to the mains if I have "no" sub selected. But most players won't redirect the SACD/DVD-A LFE even if I have "no" sub selected, and most pre/pro/receivers won't do it either for the 5.1 analog inputs.

I was just curious, because Vandersteen has a more seemless way to integrate their 2WQ sub and their mains with an included external crossover, but I agree, in this case probably just easier to let the pre/pro do it. The complete set of L & R inputs and outputs in the PB2+ brings up that flexibility too.

10. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    If the review of the PB2 plus was a good review, I wonder if my PB2 Ultra is of the same ilk? I would assume it would be, with just a little more extension and output. Just curious.

Steve

11. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

Probably a tick stronger down deep and with greater overall output (those TV-12 Ultra woofers are very capable) but I wouldn't buy it strictly on that basis. The wood cabinets (which are unique to the PB2-Ultra, they aren't just veneered versions of the PB2-Plus box) and the parametric EQ we're planning for the PB2-Ultra will be the most apparent differences.

Ron