Review of my new STR-DA2ES

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian_Tho, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

First of all let me say that this unit is a very good piece of equipment. I was under the assumption that it lacked rca to s-video upconversion. Wrong, it has that feature, and it works great. I did alot of comparing between the STR-DA2ES,4ES, and I came to the conclusion that $200 dollars was to much to pay for a couple of features namely 7.1, rs-232 port, and gold plated jacks. I know the 4ES has a supposed bigger powersupply(Transformer). After extensive testing of the 2ES, I find the power to be more than capable. It has all the same features, dsp's, and bass management that the 4es has. This unit has a good sound for both music and hometheater. I love the neo:6 cinema. It works alot better than pl2 for movies. The surround sound using dolby, and dts was marvalous. I can hear sounds that were not present before with my sony str-k840p that came with my htib. The effects seem more fluent, and travel the room like they should. My favorite feature of this unit has got to be the audio split it comes in very handy. If anyone has compared the 2es, and 4es sonically I would love to here what the differences are that you noted. I have not tested both units therefore take my review with a grain of salt. I do like my new receiver for all the features, and the power it has. I have been a loyal Sony fan for a few years now. Let me be quite honest I have never had any problems with any Sony receiver so far. I tested all the other models before settling on the 2ES. I tested from the likes of Harmon, Onkyo, Panasonic, and the basic other manufactures in my price range. So in closing this unit is a good mid-level receiver in my opinion, and the fact it is loaded with so many otherwise costly features make it an attractive piece of equipment. All comments welcome in response to this review.

2. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

Congratulations!! Its good to see someone that has purchased this receiver, I have a 4ES and really like it.

I think the 2ES is also a great receiver, the SONY ES line still has a lot to offer for the bucks.

Hope you have lots of great listening pleasure with it!!

Alex

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I recently purchased one of these myself. I would have bought the 4es(ie. got approval from my better half) but the darn thing was too big for the space that I have![​IMG] First off, I think it sounds REALLY good for movies. To the point where I have been renting a lot more movies than before. That 6th channel makes a huge difference! Radio broadcasts are what I don't like, it doesn't seem to have very much bass in comparison to my old Onkyo 575 with the same speakers listening to the radio. There is actually a very big difference there. I have played around with it for the last few weeks and it still doesn't seem to hit as hard, although I have made improvements. The main reason I bought it was for movies though so I am happy with the purchase. And you can't beat a 5 year warranty with an authorized service center in your town!

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Brian, good to know you are very happy with your purchase, the ES receivers offer an excellent value for the money because at that price point very few or no receivers offer DTS 96/24. Enjoy your receiver [​IMG]

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Brian:

I have compared the 2ES and 4ES, but not extensively. I'd say there is not a large difference between the units.

6. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Angelo. I realize that there are some benefits to getting the 4es, but I felt that in my situation with a smaller room that it would more than serve the purpose. I wonder what would be the maximum sized room that this unit would work in. I will say that all the talk about Sony products got me down at first. Being a loyal user of there equipment I came to find they are reliable, and do the job in a more than adequate manner. I even think the De series sony products are halfway decent for the non-audiophile. I had a DE receiver and it did a decent job. I must say I love my 2ES. One thing I read, and I need some verification on this is: The remote with the 4ES is non-learning. The 2ES is learning which is very helpful.

Angelo was there a noticable power difference between the units that you could tell?

7. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Brian, I traded a 1ES for a 4ES after about 3 weeks. In terms of sound quality, I must say I could hardly tell the difference. It just seem (subjectively) that the surround channels sound a bit cleaner, with more details. Other than that, the only difference seemed to be in the features department. The 1ES has only 5 channels, but I think the sound quality would be very similar to that of the 2ES. It may be possible that the 4ES would stand out a bit more if I had more expensive speakers.

Vincent, between the 1ES and the 4ES, I did not notice any difference in bass. The 1ES has very clean and powerful bass, so the 2ES should be the same or better. However, I have not tried using either one to drive a woofer directly. As far as using its sub-out to drive my subwoofer, they both do a fantastic job.

8. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Brian and Shiu, if you don't mind me asking, what do you have your EQ and levels at? Also, what do you have the bass management set to. I believe mine is at standard right now. Maybe I can try something different than what I currently have them set at now.

9. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I had my bass management and EQ left at factory default setting. If you are in doubt, it is easy enough to reset everything to factory setting, then take it from there. Also, make sure your receiver's speaker impedance selector is at 8 ohms, not 4 ohms. This however should not affect your bass if you are using a powered subwoofer.