What's new

Review of "Married With Children Season One" Up at dvdreview.com (1 Viewer)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I am not a huge video stickler either, but it is really bad on this set. The Best-Of sets BLOW this away, it is really horrible to look at. It looks better on television than it does on this set. But I will still support it because they need to know that we will spend the money so they will put more effort into the next season if this season's sales are strong.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'd love it if HTF scheduled a chat with Columbia. I'm sure there'd be at least a coiple of MWC inquiries...

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator

This- and in the numerous other similar posts, in this thread and many others- viewpoint is absolutely insane.

Simply buying these things, crappy as they may be, to show the studios that there is demand only shows them that there is demand for crap.

This is the LAST way to tell them you want better quality. Why would they have any motivation to increase quality in future seasons? You've already told them you are more than willing to pay for garbage and, by the way, once they sell you Season One they know that you then have a vested interest in buying subsequent seasons regardless of quality.

I returned Larry Sanders because the quality was atrocious. No subsequent seasons? Fine by me, I have plenty of other ways to spend my money. Passed on CSI S1 due to the 4:3 presentation. Subsequent seasons are widescreen? Cool, but no sale for me.

TV on DVD is inherently expensive as TV/DVD collectors tend to be "completists". The Studios need to learn that when they are asking a customer to invest hundreds of dollars into a show that quality is not an option. It is required from the first season to the last, no exceptions.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I respectfully disagree with you James. I think you can still let Columbia no you're not satisfied with this release without using a boycott. I think the studeos are more likely to take constructive feedback from those that actually purchased the disc, than those who didn't and just complained.

But, I see what you're trying to say and there is an element I would agree with, but I'm happy to have MWC on DVD and at the end of the day that's all that matters to me.

Greg Black

Second Unit
Can someone upload some screen captures of this MWC set so that other people can see how bad/good they look?

I haven't opened my copy of the set yet, due to all the complaining about it. I'd like to see what it looks like before I open it.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Anyone know how to take screen captures on PowerDvD? I have noticed though that by the 3rd episode I either A: don't recognize the problems anymore or B: They are better quality than the pilot.

Porfirio

Second Unit
In order to do a screen capture using Power DVD, press 'C' on your keyboard or click the camera icon.

Note: Make sure "Hardware Acceleration" is turned off. It can be found in the Config window, under the Video tab.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Justin, I would agree with you that The Pilot is definitely the most lackluster episode in terms of at least PQ. It may have something to do with the original material, being that it is a pilot and all. PQ definitely improves as the season progresses.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
I can remember seeing a majority of the first season in syndication and it always seemed muddy and washed out ..a remaster would have been nice but the set is definetly watchable ..I sat through the whole season set today and im happy with it for the 21.99 i paid for it ...:)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Passed on CSI S1 due to the 4:3 presentation. Subsequent seasons are widescreen? Cool, but no sale for me.
I agree 100%. I would love to have CSI on DVD but unless they rerelease season one in widescreen I won't buy any CSI boxsets.
On Due South they didn't include the pilot episode - so I haven't bought any of the sets although it's one of my favourite shows of all time.
The Xena boxset was BAD - I know that the source materials weren't looking too good but that is no excuse for the sets looking that bad - so I sold it on ebay and haven't gotten season two.
The ONLY power we have is to not buy something that is messed up - if they sell tons of the MwC sets then the next one is probably worse - because you've told them that quality doesn't matter to you. :angry:

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I'm a diehard Married With Children fan and of course, I do enjoy very nice picture quality. I don't agree that it looks worse than VHS, though. I'm just so happy to have it on DVD at last. While I care about picture quality, I've waited for this show on DVD for a long time. It's great to finally have the Bundys on DVD! Even though the transfer could have been better, I'll still watch this show over and over again!

I hope that Columbia will improve the transfer when they release Season 2 on DVD. While I support a boycott, I only ask to please don't boycott this to the extent where they don't even *release* season 2. I'd love to have all seasons of Married With Children on DVD.

"Now let's have a whoah, Bundy. Whooooooooooaaaaahhhh, BUNDY!!!!" :emoji_thumbsup:

EDIT: I realize the tone of my post will elicit flames and glares from some individuals here. But keep in mind, I am only accepting season 1 in the hope that Columbia will see the errors of their ways and release season 2 in much better quality. Let's just be glad that we actually have this DVD set in our hands and hand-write letters to Columbia asking for improved picture quality in season 2. I think a boycott will only show low demand on sales numbers and we don't want low sales if we want them to release season 2. We have to write to them and tell them how we feel about the picture quality on this set (and politely -- no swear fests, please).

That is all.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
if they sell tons of the MwC sets then the next one is probably worse - because you've told them that quality doesn't matter to you.
Respectfully disagree. Gord Lacey spelled it out pretty clearly and it only makes sense: if it doesn't sell, then there won't be future releases. If people buy it, they'll increase the chances of getting future seasons at better quality.

Terry H

Second Unit
This- and in the numerous other similar posts, in this thread and many others- viewpoint is absolutely insane.
Simply buying these things, crappy as they may be, to show the studios that there is demand only shows them that there is demand for crap.
Nice post. I couldn't agree more. If you want better quality don't buy it and tell them WHY you didn't buy it. This pay and pray for improvement philosophy some are advocating is absurd.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
It's not only absurd - it's downright dangerous.

Just write a letter or an email to Columbia Tristar and tell them that you would've loved to buy the set but that you're not willing to pay for a faulty product and that you'll be happy to buy this set and any further set as soon as it has been remastered and spread over more DVDs.

It might not work but at least you would have shown some backbone.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Does anyone know if the two "Best Of" sets include any episodes from the first season, and duplicated on the new release? If so, has anyone who is complaining about the presentation quality of the first season set done a side-by-side comparison to demonstrate that the problem is with the transfer and not the source material (compression issues aside)?

I'm not happy with the quality of the first season set either, but I do remember that at least the first season in broadcast re-runs is really poor quality.

Thanks.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
^^ Yes, "Have You Driven a Ford Lately" is on the first season set and Volume 2 of the best ofs. I am going to compare them today and see.

I am trying to do screen captures but my PowerDvd has no camera Icon and when I hit "C", nothing happens.

Greg Black

Second Unit
After some debating, I opened up my set to see what all the fuss is about. I think some people are really exaggerating the problems. The episodes in NO WAY look like VHS quality. I mean, when was the last time you watched a VHS tape? I just watched one last week. I was watching my Indiana Jones widescreen copies in anticipation of the new DVDs. VHS looks atrocious! No color depth and hardly any resolution! This Married With Children set DOES NOT look like VHS.

I think the problems are with the source material, not the transfer on the new DVDs. There is definetely a lack of detail, but like others have said, the first season has always looked fairly poor.

Here is a screen capture from the third episode:

Screen capture; JPG, 73 k

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
That isn't so bad. Any chance of more screengrabs Greg? I can store them on my server if you have space issues. Just PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks