What's new

Review of "Hero" starring Jet li (1 Viewer)

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator
After seeing the trailer in the latest Kill Bill Vol.2, I decided to proceed to my local China Town and purchase a vcd copy for viewing.

If you like the effects and score from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, you may be in for a treat.

The cinema effects and combat scenes are very similar, yet more focused on just sword play. The score is excellant, almost like a addition to CTHD, but a slight variance.

So the basic plot, as you are led to believe, is that there are 3 assassins trying tokill the Emperor. So the emperor decree's no one may be within 100 paces of him. But there is an exception to this rule, if anyone can kill 1 assassin he is allowed within 10 paces and so on, up toa maximum of 10 paces from the emperor.

So Jet Li's character, comes in with the weapons of the 3 assassins and is allowed within range of the emperor. This is the beginning of the film.

The emperor then asks for the stories on how he killed each opponent, as the emperor points out Jet Li doesn't seem to be a able warrior as them.

So Jet Li telsl the story, then the emperor tells him that he is a liar. So then the movie proceeds to RETELL Jet Li's story from the emperor's vision.

Well after watching somewhat similar,butyet different (They use some cool color hues and diferent colored cloths) Jet li then tells a more truer story, or actually is is just what you see.

The ending, shocking and yet suprising, filled with real message. You also learn why the 3 assassin's failed at their first attempt of assassination.

Overall, great and original story line, good action, good drama and dialogue.

4 out of 5

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator

I think CTHD is the asian version of Forrest Gump.
Overated and no one really wants to say they didn't like it.
Maybe if CTHD cinematography was a fraction of Hero it maybe watchable.
And the audio mix of Hero is on par with EP II and Revolutions.
Similar genre but 2 totally different animals.

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
Really, this is supposed to be overrated? What I've seen looks pretty cool. All I saw was a trailer at Yahoo though. Still couldn't quite figure out if it was gonna be good though.

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator

Mr. Bobby...please take time to read before replying. I said CTHD was overated. I've seen Hero at least 4 times already.

Lyle H.

Stunt Coordinator
I can't stand Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Except for the excellent swordfights and the climax) but I'll give Hero a shot, I suppose.

BUT, if I don't like CT,HD will I like Hero AT ALL?

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
One of the things that bugged me about CTHD was the fighting. It seemed more like an exhibition and that no one was going to get hurt. In Hero, the fighting is also graceful and ballerina-like. But it was fierce and kinetic and you had a feeling like someone’s head is going to roll. It had purpose.
I think Ang Lee should stick to Sense and Sensibity -–Eat Drink Man Women material.
Oh did you guys know Zhang Zimou was not completely satisfied with Hero and wanted redeem himself with his 2nd martial arts film tentatively called Ten Daggers with Zhang Zigi playing the lead which just finished wrapping. This looks just as good as Hero or better.
There’s a bunch of pictures and a trailer here: monkeypeaches.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks