What's new

Review of GeForce 4's up at Toms Hardware... (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Kinda disappointed about the GeFORCE 4 MX not having a Vertex or Pixel shader or even being DX8.....I guess I will hang onto the good ol' GeFORCE 3 Ti|200 for a while longer.

James St

Supporting Actor
I'm looking forward to getting the Ti4200 when its released. My 32mb Geforce 2 MX is really starting to show its age. At $200 the 4200 looks to be quite a bargain.

MichaelG

Second Unit
Any chance this will drive down the price of say... the All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500? I want this card so I can use it for video recording, and DVD, don' really care about the gaming aspects and the Radeon is more than ample for my needs.

Brian Hepler

Stunt Coordinator
Very probably. Radeon has just announced 128MB versions of the 8500 and 7500 cards. The older AIW cards should drop pretty quickly.

MichaelG

Second Unit
I can wait another month or so to see what happens. I really don't *need* the latest and greatest, and a friend has the 32MB Radeon that records video and he said that it does a great job, so I expect the 64MB 7500 should be more than adequate for my purposes.

Thanks Brian

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The MXs really are for the mass-market / pre-built PC genres. If you're a gamer, you're probably looking at the Titanium line. That upcoming GeForce 4 Ti4200 (128MB) coming in at $199 MSRP (hence you can get it online for about $175) looks to be the sweet spot. I'm not sure if it's in the Tom's review, but it's in the official NVidia announcement and some other review sites. It's to be released 8 weeks after the initial Ti4400 and 4600 releases (at $299 & $399 respectively). The 4200 is the one I'm waiting for...

Craig LeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I think the GF4 TI4200 is going to be what I'm shooting for when they get released in another coupld of months. Wonder what ATI's R250 based card will be like... then again with their history of subpar drivers/stability, I think I'll pass!

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Im going the G4 Ti4400. Benchmark scores are what sell it for me and it's $100 less than the 4600.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Here's something interesting:

According to the speech nVidia's CEO gave at the launch of the GeFORCE4, the GF4 will be the last of the GeFORCE line. So their next chip will have a new name.

Well after playing some RtCW and MOHAA last night I think the GeFORCE 3 Ti|200 is the sweet spot on price/performance. Only thing that would make me upgrade my videocard now is if DOOM 3 were to come out tomorrow and it required a GeFORCE 4 to play it at 1024x768 with all effects on.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Does anyone think the GeForce 4's have anything over the G3's? In other words, with games like RTCW and MOHAA would I even benefit by waiting and paying for the G4 or will the G3 give me all the benefits that current technology will allow for less mulah?

I obviously saw all the benchmark scores, but does that equate to better graphics or... hell, what DOES it mean?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
After reading the reviews on the new Titanium Series G-Force 4’s I am glad that

I ordered my system with the G-Force 3 Titanium 200 with 64 Megs of DDR SGRAM.

Some have already said “why didn’t you get the G-Force 4” and honestly I don’t think

I will miss a thing. The specs between the Ti200, Ti500 and the G-Force 4’s are not

Leaps and bounds better.

At any rate, for my use (Graphics Design) this new box is going to haul some serious

Pixels!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The GF4s don't have any super new features over the GF3s. That said, the GF4s are using faster RAM and when Tom's Hardware and Anandtech ran benchmarks, were anywhere from 20%-40% superior from their counterparts (Ti4200 vs. Ti200, Ti4600 vs. Ti500). So what does that mean for today's games? Almost nothing. But in a year or two, when games invariably get more complex, the GF4s will start distancing themselves from the GF3.

That being said, if you recently purchased a GF3 you have nothing to worry about. But if you're THINKING of buying a new card, why not wait 2 months until the Ti4200 comes out at $199 (will be able to buy online for about $170) and get performance that bests the current Ti500 ($299)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks