What's new

Review: Marantz SR7300 AV Surround Receiver (1 Viewer)

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
Jeff:

Have you heard any details about the SR8300? The one press-release that I saw doesn't mention anything that isn't already part of the 8200. Being an owner of an 8200, I'm very interested to see if any new formats that show up in the 8300 (such as HDCD for example) will be availalbe as a software upgrade for the 8200. Their literature says that the upgrade port is for that very reason, but I wonder if they will ever use it. Do you have a Marantz rep that you could ask about the plans for software upgrades? I'd love to see HDCD support for the 8200. I've never even been able to find a Marantz e-mail address to ask the question.

Thanks,
Chris

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
ChrisDixon:

You will not find support for HDCD in the 8200 - ever, at least not via software updates.

The RS232 is not a complete solution. It can provide upgrades and additions within the confines of the capabilities of the chipset in the unit. HDCD is not a surround mode and thus is not a function of the surround processor. HDCD processing occurs in the digital filtering of the unit and requires the proper chipset in order to function. Unless they offer hardware upgrades, you will not see HDCD in the 8200.

/Jeff

Angelo.D

Auditioning
Out of curiosity, what are these problems everyone is refering to with the early series of X200 models? The reason I ask is that a store in my area is selling their leftover sr-6200's for $799 canadian. It seems like a good deal but I dont want a lemon. I am also considering a Denon 1803 and integra 6.3

I just want to know what these problems are and if they were limited to the early production models.

Gene Chan

Grip
Hello Angelo,
The problem was that the x200 series were notorious for having highly exaggerated wpc ratings. If you look anywhere on the net for reviews you should find it being noted. For example, the sr5200 was rate at something like 105 wpc x5. But when tested it only put out 39 wpc. The sr7200 was worse...rated at 110 (roughly...forget the exact spec) but really pumped out 29 wpc x5 before clipping.
Jeff, one of the guys who posted said Marantz answered by saying this was only a problem with the prototype that was sent to a reviewer. Check page 1 of this thread. But knowing this could happen with a prototype why would Marantz in their "infinite wisdom" send a unit (prototype of all things) that wasn't checked first? Makes no sense.
Any how, allegedly the x300 series is better. I'd prefer to read a few reviews and test reports first myself. Which is why I'm waiting to read some on the sr8300 or sr9300 "OSE" (original special edition).
Hope this helps! I'm from Toronto btw... :)
Regards

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I won't get into the power issue again - the point is, it IS immaterial, though others will preach a different mantra I'm sure.
REAL problems that existed with the x200 series included loud popping when switching sources and/or surround modes (not loud in a damaging sense, but loud) as well as issues with the SVideo switching. Both problems were due to a faulty batch of capacitors. These caps were mixed with another batch of good caps, hence there was no way of tracing the problem by serial # and this explains the erratic "I have the problem/I don't" posts we saw on the net. Marantz issued service bulletins and if current stock is not already fixed, it can easily be done so by a qualified technician.
I'd prefer to read a few reviews and test reports first myself. Which is why I'm waiting to read some on the sr8300 or sr9300 "OSE" (original special edition).
I still don't understand the love of reviews on this forum, but whatever. I don't like my system because a bunch of reviewers do. I don't brag to my friends that my system rocks because the reviewers tell me it does.
LISTEN to these things people and make up your own minds. Stop obsessing with these bloody reviews. Think for yourself and build a much better system that way. I love my system because it sounds good. My friends love my system because it sounds good.
But whatever, if you wish to live by reviews, I guess that's your prerogative. :rolleyes:
/Jeff

Steve Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff
If you remember I purchased an 7200 from your fine store.
You will also remember that I returned it due to some switching issues as well as my percieved lack of power in 5 channel mode .(movies) i say percieved because I do not have test equip to confirm.
Yes the reciever had excellent sound quality well up there with any competing reciever in it's price range.
Yes I feel it had issues with switching noises.
My main reason for returning this reciever was it's lack of power in 5 channel modes. It was fine (indeed it was great) for 2 channel music but for movies I had to run it at almost it's limit to get decent volume. Sure I like movies loud but even my wife commented that she had to crank the thing to watch a movie. So IMO and I mean IMO the unit was overated in power FOR MULTICHANNEL. In fairness Marantz only rated the RX with the front 3 driven but I have since replaced this unit with a different brand of sig lower power rating (75WPC) which easily outpowers the Marantz and (again IMO) has a better more detailed sound.
I believe you are correct in saying to listen to the equip and make up your mind instead of reading reviews but in this case I think the power output was in line with the review.
Over the years Marantz has benefited greatly from favorable reviews in the magazines and this is one rare instance where it went the other way.
99% of consumers would not make the correlation between smooth sound and Marantz without reading reviews.
Steve

gregD

Second Unit
Amen to auditioning! Different makes of electronics do sound different, regardless of what Consumer Reports says.

That said, I think Marantz makes excellent audio gear at its price point. All makes are subject to QC problems in manufacturing, and when it happens to Marantz they are good at making it right. Yes, there seem to be recurring problems in video routing. And the question of real power ratings has dogged them for awhile. (It should be noted, however, that my elderly SR5000, rated at 70wpc, somehow easily drives 25-year-old, inefficient, 4-ohm, full-range mains along with small 8-ohm ctr /surr's to rather loud levels [no measurements available] with no problem.)

I've had an outboard amp (it since died) with the 5000, and it clearly makes a good thing considerably better. If they never get around to upgrading their standalone pre/pro, I'll look forward to auditioning the 7300ose.

Gene Chan

Grip
Hello all,
Guess I have to clear the air AGAIN with regards to my statement on reviews. OF COURSE you make your decision in the end based on what your hear. If you like what you hear then buy it.
But, all I was getting at was that I read in many reviews that the x200 series was plauged with overrated wpc claims (among other problems). Not just the sr7200 but with the sr5200 as well. Here let me post a few urls for you all...
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=1878
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm
Read for yourselves. I mean I'm simply echoing what I read. I've always been a fan of Marantz receivers. So it's not like I'm a B&K or Denon fanboy who's sole mission in life is to cast a shadow on Marantz equipment. :)
But at the same time I would like to know that the receiver or amp I consider DOES perform as said by the manufacturers or better. Whether it's wpc or video switching...etc. Then, having known that I can narrow down my choices.
So for now...I'll just wait on my test reports on the x300 ose series...then go for an "audition" (which is another issue...as some believe auditions in-store are pointless as well...heh)...
Have a great weekend ppl! :)

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
At this juncture, I will make two points.

First, I have not hidden the fact that I work for a Marantz dealer. Naturally, I am going to defend the product. Having said that, this does not mean I have some sort of 'blind faith' of the product our store sells - and neither does any of our other staff. Product lines have come and gone over our 25 years. Some of them are still with us - because they continue to produce quality product. Others have been let go in favour of better brands. Its a constant evolving process. If any company - Marantz included - began producing inferior product, then eventually it would probably leave our store, as we are committed to quality.

I was very vocal in my defense of the Marantz x200 line. Why? Because I heard it first hand, and used it first hand. Whatever the reviews said, I heard SR6200 and SR7200's pumping out reference levels on demos such as SPR etc. which were blowing our customers away. Like I said before - something is amiss here...either the S&V review was wrong, or it doesn't matter what the wattage of the product is. Fact is, these things sounded damn good and had no problem achieving high levels. Yes, other "real" problems were noted and corrected - I speak here of the faulty cap issue.

What bothers me, and continues to bother me, is the way people dismiss a product because of a bad review. Or refuse to consider a product because there are no reviews on the internet. Honestly, I see this all the time. People will come into our store, audition a product and fall in love with it. But then they will buy something else because the internet says its better. I'm sorry, but people who dismissed the x200 series without hearing it don't have a clue and could definitely learn a thing or two. These are the same people who will fall in love with vapourware - a company announces a new product full of wonderful specs. They haven't heard it, but preorders are placed like mad, because it looks good on paper. Then, when the real product arrives, they are less than satisfied, and soon that product fills the classifieds.

My point is that my defense is not based on the fact that I sell these things - its based on the fact that they do in fact work, and work quite well. There are 1000s of x200 owners who will attest to this.

Now, back to the power issue with the x200 series. No, you cannot perceive lack of power by listening. Power can only be measured. The only time you could audibly tell if you have too little power is if you hear distortion (clipping) because the amp is being pushed beyond its limits. Otherwise, you cannot "hear" power. Perceptions of "lack of power" are qualitative assessments of the sonic merits of a product. I've heard 250 watt amps that sound positively bass weak. Has nothing to do with power. It is simply the sonic signature. So, if the x200 sounds weak, that is because it is a character of its sound. To reiterate, nobody can "hear" power. Only when distortion sets in do you know that you've run out of power and you need a beefier amp.

/Jeff

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Gene:
I still don't understand. Words from the HiFi Choice review:
"better than the others"
"there was explicit praise for the "large image scale" from the front of the soundstage"
"From my tests, the SR5200 emerged with a clean bill of health."
"On the whole, this is a far from unsatisfactory receiver at the price, which performs as well or better than any of the other low-cost models"
Its interesting that you pay more attention to the specs than what was said about the sound quality, which is more important.
But at the same time I would like to know that the receiver or amp I consider DOES perform as said by the manufacturers or better.
I'm sorry, but this doesn't make any sense whatsoever and is completely pointless. What you're saying is, if you had only two receivers to choose from, you'll choose the one that performs to spec rather than the one that sounds good.
I'm sorry, but this attitude confounds me. Why does it make you feel any better knowing how the amp performs on a test bench???
Whatever... :rolleyes:
/Jeff

Gene Chan

Grip
Jeff,
We've gone through this already once before. Seems whenever you add your 2 cents I end up having to explain myself yet again when I thought I had made myself clear the first time.
Let me try this one last time. If you reread my last posting I did say I DO place listening ABOVE what is said by reviewers. After all it's just the opinions of one man. I don't now nor have I bought or dismissed a product solely based on a review. That IS rediculous! :)
But as a consumer I'd simply feel better knowing that if I were looking at lets say 3 receivers, that were all to my liking, had good build quality, features I was looking for...etc...that if it came down to lets say the fact that it doesn't perform as spec'd OR doesn't all for bass management OR simply is missing a feature I'd want...the review DOES come in handy.
I would then look at the other choices I had been considering.
This is all I'm saying...HEHE!! Once again, I use reviews to ASSIST in making my decision. Not as the SOLE deciding factor!! :)) Something I'm sure many educated shoppers do as well.
Have a beer Jeff! RELAX!! :) And I think we've debated this one enough...but if you feel the need for more talk feel free to join me in #dvd (efnet) using an IRC client for a friendly conversation. :) My alias is DarkDTSes...please don't use my real name :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I think this small QC problem that happened in the LAST series, and has long since been corrected I'm sure seems to have been blown out of proportion. Regardless of "true" output power, the sound of these units is beyond their competition, and in terms of power, I've driven a 5300 for about 12 hours straight, powering a 7.1 system at reference with no problem. If heat is a gauge of anything (it sort of is a non-scientific measurement but still applicable), that unit stayed much cooler pushing 7.1 (all set to small (SVS)) than pushing just two speakers in ful-range stereo. It is unreasonable to expect a modest receiver to push 7 full-range, low-impedance speakers set large at reference for long periods of time, and I wouldn't expect ANY at around 600 bucks to do that. But if you've got a nice sub, and can set things to small, a unit like this one, or really any other should be able to handle it without even trying. I don't think it's significantly better or worse, in the power department than the comparable, good receivers. In terms of sound though, it's hard to beat, and I recommend Marantz strongly, along with HK and Outlaw, for some great entry units.

Nick V

Second Unit
But, there are obviously some lingering quality control issues. In fact, there has been a very annoying issue of buzzing in the SR-7300 which has been discussed in this forum.

I was dead set on picking up the 7300, but after having extensive problems with my 5200, 6200, and 7200, and finally ending up with a Yamaha RXV-2200 (that has no QC problems, but sounds inferior to the Marantz IMO), I'm not sure if the Marantz is the way to go. I only hope they get their problems fixed asap. Maybe I'll have to spring for a 7300 OSE.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Buzzing seems to disappear after a break-in period - at least for me. I think the main issue with the 5200-7200 involved vertical hold when light flashes accurred during movies. I experienced this first hand with the 5200. This is not an issue with the new X300's.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Buzzing seems to disappear after a break-in period - at least for me. I think the main issue with the 5200-7200 involved vertical hold when light flashes accurred during movies. I experienced this first hand with the 5200. This is not an issue with the new X300's.

Nick V

Second Unit
That is definitely promising. I went through 4 x200 units before I finally went with another brand. Ever since I switched to the Yamaha, I have regretted it a bit, because the sound is incomparable in my opinion, but it's always nice to have a 100% reliable unit.

Maybe I'll check out the 7300 after all.

Gene Chan

Grip
"Buzzing" problems during the break-in period?? Thats the first time I've heard this associated with new receivers. I own a Denon and never noticed this during it's first few months (or ever since then). And I'd hope it isn't a problem as one of you assumed.
Haven't had the chance to audition the new x300 series but I'm sure the sound is terrific.
Funny thing is 2 of you who thought there was a problem with your sr7300 went with a Yammie. :) Might you two have jumped the gun? :) I've never like the sound of Yammies. I've always found the sound to be ULTRA "bright" sounding. "Dry" even. I've heard Yammies (795 and 995 models...from a few yrs back) with B&W CDM NT speakers and a few others. But to each his own...
If any of you are contemplating a change from your Marantz x300 series receiver you might wanna look at B&K's 505 or 507. Owners have said the sound is similar to that or a Marantz but with more clarity. And also more "guts". Only problem for Canadians is that B&K components are not sold in Canada and have to be imported in from the USA. So you won't be able to audition one unless you have a friend with one or are in the US on a trip.
I've never heard a B&K receiver but have read nothing but positive reviews in magazines, online test reports and opinions from friends with the 307. Don't know if I should make a leap of faith and order one as I usually never buy electronics I haven't heard. :)
I think I'll wait around for the Marantz OSE sr9300 first for an audition before I make my final decision. Hopefully there will have been some reviews/test reports done by then (to ASSIST in making my decision Jeff...hehe!!).
Later all! :)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I don't know about the rest of 7300 owners but this hum is REAL low - I mean you have to put your ear right down at speaker level to hear it (an inch or two away). Wait a few weeks cause mine disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks